Change SQL Server User password

• How do you change the password for a SQL Server User? I don't see anything in the UI to change a user password. Also, on a related note how do you guys keep track of your different user/password combination's?

• In the SSMS, under the Security Node expand the Logins, select the user, right click choose properties. The properties dialog is displayed and change the password by typing the the 2 corresponding text boxes an choose OK.

It would be most probably a AD account, so need not memorize that much. (At least mine is)

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• I do not see the database user that I created under the Security | Logins directory. I just see 'sa' and my AD account.

• roundel1900 (12/3/2009)

I do not see the database user that I created under the Security | Logins directory. I just see 'sa' and my AD account.

Database users aren't under Server Logins, they're under the database itself. But DB Users do not have passwords, the have Logins and then those Logins have passwords.

Also, you should try to refresh any SSMS displays that do not seem to be uptodate (SSMS has very sticky caching)

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply