Change Replication Distributor

• Does anyone know if it is possible to change the distributor for a publisher without dropping and re-creating replication or running new snapshots? It doesn't appear that it is, but I thought I'd ask the question. We're planning an upgrade of a remote distributor to 2008 R2 and I am investigating the option of a side-by-side approach. We replicate too much data to consider running snapshots.

• Chuck Hottle (11/2/2011)

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the distributor for a publisher without dropping and re-creating replication or running new snapshots? It doesn't appear that it is, but I thought I'd ask the question. We're planning an upgrade of a remote distributor to 2008 R2 and I am investigating the option of a side-by-side approach. We replicate too much data to consider running snapshots.

I would normally drop all replication and rebuild using a "nosync" subscription therefore bypassing the need to create and deliver snapshots (since the data is already on the subscriber).

When you set up the subscriber using sp_addsubscription you need to set the @sync_type parameter to "none" or "replication support only". During the rebuild process you will need to ensure no one is changing or adding to the replicated data set.

• Chuck Hottle (11/2/2011)

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the distributor for a publisher without dropping and re-creating replication

Sorry, the answer to this particular question is, no there isnt.

Chuck Hottle (11/2/2011)

or running new snapshots?

and yes you can. As previously mentioned.

• That's a good idea since I'm sure that's how these publications are set up anyway. We have to take the databases offline and make sure everything has been processed by the logreader as part of the upgrade.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply