Change password for service account for SQL agent in active-active cluster

• Hello!

How can I change password for SQL Agent in clustered environment (SQL 2016)?

Do I stop the role and change password from SQL Server Configuration Manager?

Thanks in advance.

• Not sure about the correct answer to you so maybe others will give required feedback.

but why not drop the user completely and replace it with a GMSA instead? that way you never have to worry about password rotation again.

• We are using Service Accts but looks like somebody tried to change the account or password.

SQlagent.out file has the error message "Login failed for user". So I am trying to put in the password which I know works.

Thanks.

• Any service account change in a failover cluster needs to be done through the SQL Server Configuration tool.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/configure-windows/scm-services-change-the-password-of-the-accounts-used?view=sql-server-2017

note, that the article does say that once the password has been changed by SQL Server Configuration tool on the active node, you will have to change it by using the Services applet on the idle nodes.

Ideally you have a cluster in your test environment you can test this process on.

• Tried performing the recommended but still failed.

Seeing this error message on the sql agent log :

SQL Server does not accept the connection (error: 18456). Waiting for Sql Server to allow connections. Operation attempted was: Verify Connection On Start.

Unable to connect to server ''; SQLServerAgent cannot start

SQLServer Error: 18456, Login failed for user '. [SQLSTATE 28000]

Logon to server '' failed (DisableAgentXPs)

SQLServerAgent terminated (normally)

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply