Change from EncryptSensitiveWithUserKey to DontSaveSensitive in Bulk

• All,

I've got an SSIS solution using project deployment that contains roughly 25 individual dtsx packages. (SSIS 2017) Our Dev, QA, and Prod servers are on different AD Domains. When I want to "get latest" from Prod with my solution and bring it back down to Dev, I thought I could just go into the SSISDB, right-click and do "Export." It gives me an .ispac which I can open in VS 2017 on my local machine. However, whenever I do it, all of the packages and the overall solution are defaulted to "EncryptwithUserKey." I have to go back through & change the setting on each of the 25 packages to "DontSaveSensitive" and then to the overall solution to "DontSaveSensitive" and re-build. Is there an easier way? I'm handling the "safety" of any connection strings/sensitive info outside the SSIS process, so I'm not asking about making it more secure. I'm just asking if there's a way to do this in bulk so I don't have to go through this every time. I read the BOL article but I can't figure out how to apply that to my cross-domain situation in my job. Thanks for your help.

• I take it that keeping your packages in their corresponding source control branches is not possible?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• It is not yet, but that's what I'm trying to get to. If I can just get my Dev & QA environments to be sync'd to my PROD again, I'm hoping to do just as you suggest. It just requires coordination with some other teams, so I'm trying to Band-Aid my way through.

• Fair enough. You could try comparing package XML before and after setting DontSaveSensitive, using something like WinMerge, to see whether this is a change you can make using find/replace in a text editor.

If not, I do not know of any quick way of making this change in bulk.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by  Phil Parkin. Reason: Fix typo

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• That sounds like a really viable option! I'll give it a shot and report back on the results. Thanks so much, Phil!

• Have a look here in the last part you can simply open the dtsx with some editor and search for the ProtectionLevel and replace it in the dtsx files accordingly. However you have to change the project protection settings, too. Can't recall right now which file it was but it's within the SSIS Package, XML and same thing to look for. Definitely much faster than having to wait for each dtsx to open up in BIDS / VS.

When you're done editing don't forget to rebuild the solution and deploy the new .ispac file.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply