Change Data Source for tabular Model at Deployment?

• I s there any way to change the data source for a tabular model at deployment?

I have Development, test & Production Sql Servers.  I also Development, test and production servers for SSAS.

I would like to change the data source for the model based on which server I am deploying to.  Is this possible?

If that is not possible, can you set the data source to not be overwritten on deploy so that I could at least set up the Deployment that way?

• You can use parameters for the components of your connection, which should allow you to change values after (or at deployment).

• Where would I set up those parameters? Do you mean just using like a magic string in the Connection string and then doing something after deploying?

• I know Power BI Desktop allows you to create parameters which you could then change the values of after deployment. Haven't played around with it extensively, but you should be able to use those to store server names or connection strings and then inject those into your other queries.

For SSAS in the Tabular Model Explorer in SSDT you can right-click on "Expressions" and then use the "Query" menu to create parameters. Disclosure: Not sure how this behaves after deployment and any potential gotchas, as I haven't attempted this in SSAS before...but it came to mind as a possible solution.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply