My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• πŸ˜€

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Thanks for the question, Steve.

---------------
    Mel. 😎

• Are the questions getting too easy?

Nice question, but the answer is a bit too obvious, I think.

Tom

• Are the questions getting too easy?

Nice question, but the answer is a bit too obvious, I think.

Tom

• Nice question, Steve, but I agree with Tom, the answer is a little too obvious (central repository ==> centralized VCS). Still, I had never heard of these different types (when I think of types of VCS, I think of the ones I have worked with in the past: RCS, Subversion, StarTeam, SourceSafe, TFS, etc.), so it is good to be educated about the different types.

• nice question steve, thanks for share πŸ™‚

• Thanks for the post, SJ, good one.

(Actually, I used two, one Visual SourceSafe 6.0 with came with Visual Studio 6.0 in year 1999, and then (I don't remember that name) which came with Visual Studio 2005 in the year 2007. We used it on web project with 13 team members, I was on SQL side and was advised to script each object and put the individual .sql file in to the repository. And when any object was modified, I have to script it and add it on the same file as a new version in the repository. That DB had more than 200 tables and near 750 objects (including, SP, functions) and 150 Views, Most of the objects had a rework or some new thing came up to add in to it. Every time the updating the repository task came... I was like "oh man... not again...." it created not a good impression on me on the team was using it.... but I never got a chance to feel the real power of any version controls system.)

ww; Raghu
    --
    The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.

• One common misconception about distributed version control systems is that there cannot be a central project repository. This is simply not true – there is nothing stopping you from saying β€œthis copy of the project is the authoritative one.” This means that instead of a central repository being required by the tools you use, it is now optional and purely a social issue.

• Good One.

Thanks.

• stephen.long.1 (9/5/2014)

Nice question, Steve, but I agree with Tom, the answer is a little too obvious (central repository ==> centralized VCS). Still, I had never heard of these different types (when I think of types of VCS, I think of the ones I have worked with in the past: RCS, Subversion, StarTeam, SourceSafe, TFS, etc.), so it is good to be educated about the different types.

+1

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Hany Helmy
    SQL Server Database Consultant

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply