Cause of arithmetic overflow error?

• What is causing this error in the following code:

Msg 8115, Level 16, State 8, Procedure sp_calcArea, Line 10 [Batch Start Line 18]
    Arithmetic overflow error converting numeric to data type numeric.

I suspect the error has something to do with the PRINT statement.  I ran the same code yesterday with INT as the data types and I didn't get this error.  What is causing this error?

CREATE PROCEDURE sp_calcArea

@length numeric (4,2),
    @width numeric (4,2),
    @area numeric (4,2) OUTPUT

AS

BEGIN
     SELECT @area = @length * @width
    END

GO

DECLARE @showArea numeric (4,2)

EXECUTE sp_calcArea
     50, 10, @area = @showArea OUTPUT

PRINT @showArea

• michael.leach2015 - Wednesday, January 30, 2019 3:45 PM

What is causing this error in the following code:

Msg 8115, Level 16, State 8, Procedure sp_calcArea, Line 10 [Batch Start Line 18]

I suspect the error has something to do with the PRINT statement.  I ran the same code yesterday with INT as the data types and I didn't get this error.  What is causing this error?

@length numeric (4,2),
    @width numeric (4,2),

AS

BEGIN
    END

GO

EXECUTE sp_calcArea

PRINT @showArea

It's not the print statement. It's the precison and scale for area or whatever you use for the results. The precision and scale change for the results when performing different operations. Refer to the table in this documentation:
    Precision, scale, and Length (Transact-SQL)

Sue

• Precision, scale, and Length

Because NUMERIC(4,2) sets two spaces for decimals, which only leaves two spaces for the integer portion.  Since 50*10=500 and 500 requires three integer spaces, it overflows.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Sue_H - Wednesday, January 30, 2019 4:10 PM

michael.leach2015 - Wednesday, January 30, 2019 3:45 PM

@length numeric (4,2),
    @width numeric (4,2),

AS

BEGIN
    END

GO

EXECUTE sp_calcArea

PRINT @showArea

It's not the print statement. It's the precison and scale for area or whatever you use for the results. The precision and scale change for the results when performing different operations. Refer to the table in this documentation:

Sue

Thank you for the reference.  I changed my stored procedure so that the @area variable has a data type of numeric (9,4) instead of numeric (4,2).  In the declaration of @showArea before the execute statement, I changed the data type to @showArea numeric (9,4) from @showArea numeric (4,2).  This worked.

But just to be sure, did I changed the precision and scale to the correct minimum amounts or did I use more than I needed?

• drew.allen - Wednesday, January 30, 2019 4:19 PM

Precision, scale, and Length

Because NUMERIC(4,2) sets two spaces for decimals, which only leaves two spaces for the integer portion.  Since 50*10=500 and 500 requires three integer spaces, it overflows.

Drew

This is a very helpful explanation.  Thank you.

• michael.leach2015 - Wednesday, January 30, 2019 4:26 PM

Sue_H - Wednesday, January 30, 2019 4:10 PM

@length numeric (4,2),
    @width numeric (4,2),

AS

BEGIN
    END

GO

EXECUTE sp_calcArea

PRINT @showArea

Sue

Thank you for the reference.  I changed my stored procedure so that the @area variable has a data type of numeric (9,4) instead of numeric (4,2).  In the declaration of @showArea before the execute statement, I changed the data type to @showArea numeric (9,4) from @showArea numeric (4,2).  This worked.

But just to be sure, did I changed the precision and scale to the correct minimum amounts or did I use more than I needed?

According to the documentation that would be correct.
    You can truncate after the decimal but it's not the same result if needed. I'm not sure that it would need more than 8 for the scale but there is likely some nuance thing I'm not thinking of. Otherwise, it seems that 8 would be the minimum 99.99 * 99.99. If you truncated the results to 2, you would need a scale of 6.

Sue

• Sue_H - Wednesday, January 30, 2019 6:38 PM

michael.leach2015 - Wednesday, January 30, 2019 4:26 PM

@length numeric (4,2),
    @width numeric (4,2),

AS

BEGIN
    END

GO

EXECUTE sp_calcArea

PRINT @showArea

Sue

You can truncate after the decimal but it's not the same result if needed. I'm not sure that it would need more than 8 for the scale but there is likely some nuance thing I'm not thinking of. Otherwise, it seems that 8 would be the minimum 99.99 * 99.99. If you truncated the results to 2, you would need a scale of 6.

Sue

When I do 99.99 x 99.99 I get 9998.0001

Instead of 6, wouldn't the scale be 4 since there are 4 digits to the right of the decimal?

• michael.leach2015 - Wednesday, January 30, 2019 10:54 PM

Sue_H - Wednesday, January 30, 2019 6:38 PM

@length numeric (4,2),
    @width numeric (4,2),

AS

BEGIN
    END

GO

EXECUTE sp_calcArea

PRINT @showArea

Sue

Sue

Instead of 6, wouldn't the scale be 4 since there are 4 digits to the right of the decimal?

Sorry I meant precision on the last sentence.

Sue

• Sue_H - Thursday, January 31, 2019 7:45 AM

michael.leach2015 - Wednesday, January 30, 2019 10:54 PM

@length numeric (4,2),
    @width numeric (4,2),

AS

BEGIN
    END

GO

EXECUTE sp_calcArea

PRINT @showArea

Sue

Sue

Sue

So you mean numeric (6,8)?  Doesn't the precision always have to be greater than the scale?

• michael.leach2015 - Thursday, January 31, 2019 8:44 AM

Sue_H - Thursday, January 31, 2019 7:45 AM

@length numeric (4,2),
    @width numeric (4,2),

AS

BEGIN
    END

GO

EXECUTE sp_calcArea

PRINT @showArea

Sue

Sue

Sue

So you mean numeric (6,8)?  Doesn't the precision always have to be greater than the scale?

No, the scale can never be larger than the precision. He means numeric(6,2) instead of numeric(8,4)
    EDIT: No to the first question, Yes to the second one.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • michael.leach2015 - Thursday, January 31, 2019 8:44 AM

@length numeric (4,2),
    @width numeric (4,2),

AS

BEGIN
    END

GO

EXECUTE sp_calcArea

PRINT @showArea

Sue

Sue

Sue

Yes, precision has to be greater than the scale, but precision is the first number.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• I mixed them up when I posted and didn't make it clear enough on the truncation.
    I'm not sure it really matters if trying for the minimum - the storage is the same with precision 1-9. Which is why I would have just left it.

Sue

• Luis Cazares - Thursday, January 31, 2019 9:16 AM

michael.leach2015 - Thursday, January 31, 2019 8:44 AM

@length numeric (4,2),
    @width numeric (4,2),

AS

BEGIN
    END

GO

EXECUTE sp_calcArea

PRINT @showArea

Sue

Sue

Sue

No, the scale can never be larger than the precision. He means numeric(6,2) instead of numeric(8,4)
    EDIT: No to the first question, Yes to the second one.

Thank you.  So numeric (6,2) if I want to have 2 digits after the decimal point.  Thank you for clarifying.

• Sue_H - Thursday, January 31, 2019 9:45 AM

I mixed them up when I posted and didn't make it clear enough on the truncation.
    I'm not sure it really matters if trying for the minimum - the storage is the same with precision 1-9. Which is why I would have just left it.

Sue

Ok.  Thank you.

• The error comes when you are trying to convert numeric or decimal value into varchar data type and the length of this variable is not long enough to hold its decimal or numeric value. Make sure that the length of VARCHAR variable or column is long enough to hold the decimal or numeric value. Avoid this error by increasing the length of the VARCHAR variable

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply