Career Advice...what is next after SR SQL DBA ?

• So now that you have climbed the ladder to Sr. SQL DBA....what is a next logical career choice...what do people do afterwards ?

I would love to hear what some of you have heard, done....do you become IT directors, go into sales, what other options are there ?

Thank you for your input

• Retire!!

(I know that's what I'm looking forward to...) 😉

• It depends on what do you want to do. Are you a hands on person or do you want to move into management level. There are some position such as infrastructure architecture then you can do the hands on or a lead position that would allow you to work hands on yet have a bit more responsibility.

You decide where you want to go next.

sopheap

• Do you like to build things and solve business problems using database technologies? In my organization the DBAs are called Database Engineers. Mostly because its a development shop and they have other engineers developing software (Its a new thing...). We are responsible for the internal production, support, sales, QA, development, and some internal and external customer databases. We have Associate Database Engineer, Database Engineer, Sr. Database Engineer, and Database Architect position/titles. Really we have A SQL Server and Oracle DBA (me), a SQL Server DBA, and a SQL Server developer, but we are all currently titled as Sr. Database Engineers. I think the Database Architect title is just their to make us work harder and keep us doing what we do best. At least there is room for a promotion and more $$$ in the future. I love building database systems because I encounter new adventures every day, I get to experiment with running things side by side on Oracle and SQL Server, and its extremely challenging each and every day. I don't think I would like this stuff as much if I were just administering production servers.

• so how high can the pay go for Sr. most SQL DBA

• Several places that I have worked have a position of

Database Architect

The Architect position usually does a bit more data modeling, plans the SAN configurations and consults with the Senior DBAs on Issues and often is assigned many of the same tasks as the senior DBA.

And for some reason when Architect is added to the title......the pay is greater....

Just my 2 cents

Eric Peterson

• Thank you for your responses !

• yes the next step depends on what you wish to do.....

Data Architect would be a good next step

Management Positions would possibly make sense

Product Management ???

Project Management ???

Sr. DBAs might be able to hit the 6 figure range

Data Architects (in these parts) can get upwards of ~$110k - $120k (at least from what Ive seen on the SQL Server platform)

Greg Jackson

Portland, OR

Gregory A Jackson MBA, CSM

• Most of the shops currently the next step is Database Architect. It seem this position is one level removed from the day to day operations of the DB environment. More time is spent with the conceptual and logical model, and also reviewing best practices and setting next year vision. A very valuable position, but it seems only large organizations can afford one. In practice they are Senior DBA with less time on their hands for most "normal" orgs.

• This topic is really v.good and debatable and having lots of variety of answers 🙂

Depend on your interest you do have 3 options.

1. Pure Technical

2. Pure Managerial

3. Techno-Managerial

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• one more option: Freelance DBA and Consulting.

• Vivien Xing (1/15/2008)

one more option: Freelance DBA and Consulting.

I vote for that 😀

* Noel

• noeld (1/15/2008)

Vivien Xing (1/15/2008)

one more option: Freelance DBA and Consulting.

I vote for that 😀

I'd vote for the money, but not dealing with health insurance costs, vacation scheduling, finding time to find the next gig, taxes, and other expenses/issues related to being a consultant. It is nice to be part of a team vs. being the outsider.

• been there done that.

I do NOT Miss "errors and omissions insurance"

and I do NOT Miss making Collections calls.

Other than that, Self Employed route can be quite nice.

GAJ

Gregory A Jackson MBA, CSM

• Independent consulting can be the best thing in the world - or it can be a total nightmare. You could make $200K one year without breaking a sweat and then struggle to get $50K the next. I will say though that if you are REALLY good, and you have some 'walk-on-water' references from a few VP or C-level managers and have done some good networking you probably won't have trouble staying engaged. The best situation to be in is married with a spouse that has great benefits from his/her stable job. Even better if their income can cover your expenses so if you do spend some time not under contract it won't cause you severe stress.

Another possibility you could consider before deciding to hand up your own shingle is to get on with a consulting company and let them deal with keeping you off the bench. Many of the independent contractors out there do this first. It gives you more high-level experience, insurance and benefits, etc. Many just stay here for their career and are quite happy with it.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply