Cardinality Regression

• free_mascot (6/1/2014)

Thank you, Steve. Easy One.

I am curious why you think this was an easy question.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Got it right only because I've been paying attention. And because I answered it without consulting BOL!! 😉

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• SQLRNNR (6/2/2014)I am curious why you think this was an easy question.

The fact that it's almost identical to the question posted on 15th May helps! 🙂

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/questions/SQL+Server+2014/108889/[/url]

The date on that question says 2nd June, so I assume there's a technical glitch somewhere.

• richardd (6/2/2014)

SQLRNNR (6/2/2014)I am curious why you think this was an easy question.

The date on that question says 2nd June, so I assume there's a technical glitch somewhere.

There is that, but since that question the documentation on BOL has been fixed.;-)

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (6/2/2014)

richardd (6/2/2014)

SQLRNNR (6/2/2014)I am curious why you think this was an easy question.

There is that, but since that question the documentation on BOL has been fixed.;-)

The two questions are actually opposite.

5/15 said I'm running the "old" version (by virtue of compatibility mode), how can I test the "new" version.

6/2 said I'm running the "new" version and it doesn't work, how can I run the "old" version.

• On May 15th the question of the day was similar, but it was about forcing the new cardinality on a db w/ the compat mode set at 100, and the correct answer was to use the trace flag 2312, not sure how now the correct answer can be that's the flag used for forcing the old cardinality?

• Please update this QOTD

The documentation now states.

you can run the query with trace flag 2312 to use version 120 (the new version) of the cardinality estimator

• good question thanks steve.

• In my opinion, Its not a Feature, ist a bug and fixed asap

• I just tested this on my 2014 server and this is what I observed

Running a query with trace flag 2312 will use version 120 (the new version) of the cardinality estimator when the database compatibility is 110 (SQL 2012)

Running a query with trace flag 9481 will use version 70 (the old version) of the cardinality estimator when the database compatibility is 120 (SQL 2014)

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply