Can't detach Model

• version Microsoft SQL Server 7.00 - 7.00.1063 (Intel X86)

Apr 9 2002 14:18:16

Copyright (c) 1988-2002 Microsoft Corporation

Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack 3)

I'm trying to detach and move model and I'm getting

Server: Msg 7940, Level 16, State 1, Line 0

System databases master, model, and tempdb cannot be detached.

DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.

Unless I'm reading this wrong article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;224071& setting the trace flag -T3608 is SQL 2K only. So what am I missing? I was able to move msdb, no problems there.

John Zacharkan

John Zacharkan

• You have to move model first, then the msdb from the same server. Check KB article 224071, it has the instructions for 7.0/2K.

Joshua Jones
    Director, Global Database Services
    PGi

• It works for me. My server is Microsoft SQL Server 7.00 - 7.00.1077. Could it be issue of service pack/patch level?

• that's only if you're moving both at the same time. Sposse I don't want to move msdb?

quote:

You have to move model first, then the msdb from the same server. Check KB article 224071, it has the instructions for 7.0/2K.

John Zacharkan

John Zacharkan

• Wondering the same. Going to have to dig through the hot fixes. 1077 is sp4 with hotfixes right

quote:

It works for me. My server is Microsoft SQL Server 7.00 - 7.00.1077. Could it be issue of service pack/patch level?

John Zacharkan

John Zacharkan

• October 2, 2002 Release

A revocation of public access on an extended stored procedure.

A fix for the escalation of privileges vulnerability on certain stored procedures.

A fix for an unchecked buffer in the SQL Server 2000 Database Console Commands (DBCCs).

A fix related to the checking of a registry key that determines access to OLE DB providers through the OPENROWSET or the OPENDATASOURCE functions.

Might be "A fix for the escalation of privileges vulnerability on certain stored procedures" fix .

Need to take up putting the change in with the vendor and my client.

John Zacharkan

John Zacharkan

• Can anyone on SQL 7 sp2 to sp4, without hotfixes, detach model? Can you show me how you do this.

My MS rep recommends opening up a technical support case to have a SQL engineer work with me in troubleshooting the issue. From where I'm standing detach model doesn't work.

I can't apply the hotfix to sp4, nor have I tried it on another box to see if that works at all, although Alex mentions that he can.

Frustrated in NJ.

John Zacharkan

John Zacharkan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply