Can''t connect using Linked Server in 2005

• I have done linked servers before, usually without much trouble.  We have a new SQL Server 2005 running on Windows Server 2003, with Active Directory in play (this might be the problem, it's new to me).  From a SQL 7 box, not on Active Directory, and from another install of SQL 2005, not on Active Directory, I can do the linked server using the server name, or by using the internal IP address.  I have a test SP ready to go, that executes instantly.

I can not use a linked server via the external (through two firewalls) IP address.  To verify that the firewalls are setup correctly (they haven't changed in years either) I wrote a VB EXE program using ADO that accesses the SQL 2005 box with the exact same login and password, just to verify the login is good.

I need for a customer to be able to create a linked server from their sql install to ours (as they have had in place for the last 4 years).   We want to move to this new SQL 2005 box, but can't until we figure out the linked server problem.

Any clues?

Student of SQL and Golf, Master of Neither

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I'm still searching for the answer to this.  Does anyone have any experience, or even any decent guesses?

Student of SQL and Golf, Master of Neither

• check out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;906954

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply