Can't connect from power View to SSAS2014 OlapCube

• Hi,

i've heard rumors that it should be possible with Power View to connect to Analysis-Services Cubes (to be precise: to olap-MDX-Cubes, not the tabular-Cubes!).

So, I tried to connect, but everything I got is a meaningless errormessage in Power View:

Sorry, something went wrong while loading the model for the item or data source '<<Connectionname>>'. Verify that the connection information is correct and that you have permissions to access the data source.

Can anybody please confirm, if it is really possible for him to connect ClassicOLAPCubes with power view?

Prerequisites:

- Microsoft SQL Server 2014 - 12.0.2405.0 (X64) Sep 11 2014 16:54:43 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition: Core-based Licensing (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.3 <X64> (Build 9600: ) (Hypervisor)

- Excel 2013, 32bit, Produktversion 15.0.4649.1000

- no SharePoint, no SP Excel Services, just classic Excel

- Did a try with an existing Cube and a second try with a complete new (really simple) Cube modell

• It is possible, but you need Power View for SharePoint.

Inside Excel, you need to pull the data from your cube into Power Pivot and then build your Power View report on top of that model.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Thanks for the fast answer.

hmm, definitely not the Answer I'd like to hear.

SharePoint is Kind of difficult due to internal workflows

and PowerPivot means sending a lot of Data to a lot of Clients located in quite a few countries attached with only a small bandwidth of Internet Connection.

Looks like we will not be able to work with PowerView or we'll introduce a second cube with same data but based on tabular model.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply