Can't connec to named instance on windows 2008 cluster

• I have a windows 2008 cluster, with sql 2008 sql cluster installed. In addition to this sql cluster, I installed a stand-alone named instance. The intent is for this named instance to be our test environment.

The problem is that I cannot figure out how to connect to it remotely from my desktop using Mgmt Studio. When I'm Rdp'd, I can easily type in machinename\instancename without any problems. But that does not work from my desktop.

I've been doing some digging, but have not a concrete answer to my question. Any ideas and/or suggestions would be welcome. Thank you in advance.

• is there a firewall between you and the sql server? have you tried hardcoding the port on the server line to connect to ie. sqlserver\instance,port ? if hardcoding works then it could be that your browsers are not able to function properly because of firewall rules.

if you have a firewall then this blog post may help-it helped me quite a bit http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2006/02/27/unable-to-connect-to-a-sql-server-named-instance-on-a-cluster.aspx

db

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply