Can't Allocate space for Object 'Syslogs'

• This darn message has been annoying me for a while now. It only happens when I try to run larger queries. These are queries that I must run to get certain reports though. Here is the whole message.

Can't allocate space for object 'Syslogs' in database 'FDIS' because the 'logsegment' segment is full. If you ran out of space in Syslogs, dump the transaction log. Otherwise, use ALTER DATABASE or sp_extendsegment to increase the size of the segment.

My database is called FDIS and it utilizes FDIS_DATA for the data device

FDIS_LOGS for the log device

I am running SQL 6.5. I have tried using sp_extendsegment 'default', FDIS_DATA

sp_extendsegment system, FDIS_DATA

I still get the error. Any help available...am I not issuing the correct command?

Thanks Kevin

Thanks For your continued Help.

• Try increasing the file size of the log device, then expand the database.

Gosh, SQL 6.5... Its been so long...

• I know, I know....we are finally going to SQL2000 in June. I have been pulling my hair out with the limited functionality of 6.5. Thanks for the suggestion. I currently have the data device at 1,500 MB and the log device at 800, however when I look at the database it says that I have that much space allocated, but there is 0.00MB available. am I not doing something correctly in the expansion of the DB?

• Right, thats why you need to increase the file size of the log device. Once you do that, you will have enough space to expand the log device into the free space of that file.

I think there is also an upper limit on how large those file sizes can be, so you may end up having to create a new file and expand the log device into it.

Its basically because the database does not have enough room to store the before update snapshots of the data set you are about to update.

eidt - oh yeah, make sure you scroll up and down in the database expansion window and locate the file you either created or increased. Sorry, its kinda weird if you've never done it before.

Edited by - void on 02/11/2003 10:53:19 AM

• Also, on a second note, if you are not taking transaction log backups on that particular database, you probably will want to truncate the log on checkpoint, otherwise you'll have a ton of old transactions filling it up.

And another thing, make sure TempDB is broken out to its own database and devices. I think when 6.5 shipped, TempDB was 2 MB and part of master. This causes its own problems when you have to run a query in which SQL Server has to dump records into TempDB when querying data.

I'll try to scare up the KB article.... If it still exists.

edit...

here ya go

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;187824

Also, this KB article will help with your initial problem...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;110139

Edited by - void on 02/11/2003 10:46:53 AM

• Thanks....

Tempdb is on it's own since I set it up.

Truncate Log on Checkpoint has always been selected, I learned that one a while ago.

I dropped all tables and stored procedures and the available data was still 0.00MB. I ended up creating new DB with different name and copying all data into it, then re-creating orig database and copying all data back into it and now I am only using 5% or so of the allocated data. I really think that the database was corrupt somehow. Thanks for all the help anyway you guys really help a junior DB admin

• Heh, well I guess whatever works...

Anyway if you ever get stuck with this again, also check out Books Online for SQL Server 6.5 unter the section titled "Expanding databases".

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply