Cannot get SQL Debugging to install/work

• Hello...

I'm pulling my hair out with the debugger installation.. anyone have any suggestions.

When I run it from the QA, it says it's not installed and should be re-installed from the developer tools menu in setup. So... I rerun setup, select "Debugger Interface", then click install. Now, setup tells me I've selected no comoponets to install and does nothing. I see the components checked off in the seleciton box - wtf ???

Very poor job Microsoft...

• I've never gotten the debugger to work successfully from QA. Good luck to you if you can do it! There's always good ole Print statements... 🙂

However, I have been able to get the debugger working from VS.NET on a local instance of SQL Server running on my machine. This worked for me without any configuration at all. You can right click on an proc and chose step into.

dave

• Heh-

Thanks Dave.

What got me started with the QA debugger is that I could not get the VS.Net IDE debugger to work with T-SQL statements.

Me have total no worky w/ T-SQL Debugging 🙁

- B

• Out of curiousity, is the SQL Server running under the LocalSystem account or is running under a defined Windows account?

K. Brian Kelley

http://www.truthsolutions.com/

Author: Start to Finish Guide to SQL Server Performance Monitoring

http://www.netimpress.com/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Go to control panel -> Computer Management -> Local users - > Users

check your user account is part of SQLDebugger account. If you add that you will be able to debug from the query analyser.

• Brian-

The MSSQLServer service is logging in using my account.

babuganesh2000-

There is a local SQLDebugger user on my machine - but not a group to which I can add myself.

Plus - I ran Windows SP4 on my machine and now I cannot debug ANYTHING. My Visual Studio is crapped out. Grrrrrrrr.

• Have you tried to install debugger from SQL Server CD?

• Well...

I'm going old school and re-formatting my DEV machine. Full reinstall from scratch.

My registry is saying "ahhhhhh - thanks".

• Debugging Installed fine for me, but never been able to get it to step though a sp, so have given up and like bigdmoore print statements are the way to go!

• The SQL Debugger that comes with ISQLW (Query Analyzer) uses DCOM. Becuase of this, there are a multitude of reasons the debugger "won't work". If a SQL Server is not in the same domain as your client it won't work. It won't work if you Terminal Server to the SQL Server (if you are in a different domain). I found that it does work from my client PC against our Development SQL server that is in the same domain as my client and the SQL Service is running under a domain account (Not the Local System account).

Good luck, it is handy if you get it working. (You can always install SQL Server on your client machine and debug against it.)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply