Cannot generate SSPI context - Scheduled Jobs

• Hey,

We have had an issue with our scheduled jobs for a little over a week now...

We get the error message, Cannot generate SSPI context for a lot of our jobs.  The jobs that are failing are executing a DTS which consists of an ActiveX script.  I have reviewed the code that is failing and they are all select, inserts, updates or deletes to the local server.

What is more confusing is that it's random.  The job can successfully run several times and then fail.  Then on the next run (or if I start the job manually) it will run with no problems.

Here are the errors we are getting (Error Log from SQL Agent) :

[298] SQLServer Error: 997, Cannot generate SSPI context [SQLSTATE HY000]

[382] Logon to server '(local)' failed (JobManager)

I'm still researching this problem and was wondering if anyone else had come accross this issue in scheduled jobs.

Cheers,

Clive

• What account do you have SQL Agent running under?  Is it running under a local administrator account or a windows domain adminstrator account?

I wonder (and this is just a guess) if you have it running under the windows domain account and for some reason the account cannot be validated by the domain (i.e. Network drops).  Try using a local administrator account for SQL Agent.

Have you ever noticed SQL Agent being down?

• I have also seen this kind of error pop up in other contexts when the NT account has been locked. You may want to check that as well.

• Hello All,

Thanks for the feedback so far.  Yes we are using a domain account and no, the SQL Agent has not been stopped or disabled.  Also, the NT account isn't locked.  It was wierd as it was intermittent.  There was no consistency.

However, today, we have no problems!  No failed jobs.  I need to research this some more but we have a server that synchs the time on all of the PC's & Server's in the office.

There was a problem with this server and it was messing around with our Lotus Notes server something rotten.  While researching yesterday, I did stumble across a couple posts regarding this error message and the time on the SQL Server box in relation to either a domain controller or AD box.  I don't quite understand the link between the two, so I'll update this post when I find something..!!

Cheers,

Clive

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply