Cannot execute system stored procedure sp_msforeachdb

• Hello guys

I was trying to run a script which calls sp_msforeachdb proc, but the system (2005 express edition) gave the following error message:

Msg 2812, Level 16, State 62, Line 18

Could not find stored procedure 'sp_msforeachdb'.

If I run "select object_id('sp_msforeachdb')", it returns null. But "select object_id('sp_who')" does return a negative integer.

Also, the sp_msforeachdb does not exist in the sysobject table.

However, from the system stored procedure list in master datbase, I can still see this procedure there.

I tried to use its definition script generated from the "modify" option and modify/recreate this proc again, but only bumped into another error message:

for modify: alter proc [sys].[sp_MSforeachdb]

Msg 208, Level 16, State 6, Procedure sp_MSforeachdb, Line 46

Invalid object name 'sys.sp_MSforeachdb'.

for create: create proc [sys].[sp_MSforeachdb]

Msg 2760, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_MSforeachdb, Line 46

The specified schema name "sys" either does not exist or you do not have permission to use it.

BTW, I am in the sysadmin role on this server instance.

How can I receover this import system stored procedure then?

Thanks in advance for your help!

regards,

Ning

Bazinga!

• You've tried sp_MSforeachdb, correct?

I had a similar problem and it was due to the fact that I was using a case sensitive collation.

After changing the name of the stored proc to the exact case, my query worked fine.

Also, I don't think you are allowed to edit that system stored procedure. Hence, the invalid object errors.

• When I want to modify the system SP, I make a new version, with my own naming convention so as not to be confused with the systm version.

• @nick-2 Tran

Yes, i did use both lower cased and proper cased versions of this stored proc.

@homebrew01

Thanks for you reply. But my issue is that this system proc is not recognized by my T-SQL coammnd in the SSMS query window and it doesn't hold a record in the sysobject table.

I really wanna recreate it with the same name as it should be as a system stored proc.

Can you two or others provide more input to help?

Thanks again!

Bazinga!

• Are you using a login that has DBO to master?

It sounds like you just can't see the Sys schema..

• I am the sysadmin.

Bazinga!

• --create stored procedure sp_MSforeachdb

/*

* The following table definition will be created by SQLDMO at start of each connection.

* We don't create it here temporarily because we need it in Exec() or upgrade won't work.

*/

create proc sys.sp_MSforeachdb

@command1 nvarchar(2000), @replacechar nchar(1) = N'?', @command2 nvarchar(2000) = null, @command3 nvarchar(2000) = null,

@precommand nvarchar(2000) = null, @postcommand nvarchar(2000) = null

as

set deadlock_priority low

/* This proc returns one or more rows for each accessible db, with each db defaulting to its own result set */

/* @precommand and @postcommand may be used to force a single result set via a temp table. */

/* Preprocessor won't replace within quotes so have to use str(). */

declare @inaccessible nvarchar(12), @invalidlogin nvarchar(12), @dbinaccessible nvarchar(12)

select @inaccessible = ltrim(str(convert(int, 0x03e0), 11))

select @invalidlogin = ltrim(str(convert(int, 0x40000000), 11))

select @dbinaccessible = N'0x80000000' /* SQLDMODbUserProf_InaccessibleDb; the negative number doesn't work in convert() */

if (@precommand is not null)

exec(@precommand)

declare @origdb nvarchar(128)

select @origdb = db_name()

/* If it's a single user db and there's an entry for it in sysprocesses who isn't us, we can't use it. */

/* Create the select */

exec(N'declare hCForEachDatabase cursor global for select name from master.dbo.sysdatabases d ' +

N' where (d.status & ' + @inaccessible + N' = 0)' +

N' and (DATABASEPROPERTY(d.name, ''issingleuser'') = 0 and (has_dbaccess(d.name) = 1))' )

declare @retval int

select @retval = @@error

if (@retval = 0)

exec @retval = sys.sp_MSforeach_worker @command1, @replacechar, @command2, @command3, 1

if (@retval = 0 and @postcommand is not null)

exec(@postcommand)

declare @tempdb nvarchar(258)

SELECT @tempdb = REPLACE(@origdb, N']', N']]')

exec (N'use ' + N'[' + @tempdb + N']')

return @retval

• I am using 2005 epress edition and this sp_msforeachdb actually exists at master.sys.sp_msforeachdb, strangely, when I run just 'sp_msforeachdb' the system doesn't recognize. But when I use 'master.sys.msforeachdb', this is OK. And i in both the above situations, I was using master database as the current one.

Bazinga!

• Thanks man! I had forgotten about this! I was wondering why it was working on some servers but not others!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply