Cannot create database on cluster

• SQL 2005 on a cluster. Already has 3 dbs installed. When trying to create a new db, I get the following error:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

------------------------------

Cannot use file 'M:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\Server_Overview.mdf' for clustered server. Only formatted files on which the cluster resource of the server has a dependency can be used. Either the disk resource containing the file is not present in the cluster group or the cluster resource of the Sql Server does not have a dependency on it.

CREATE DATABASE failed. Some file names listed could not be created. Check related errors. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 5184)

I have checked in cluster administrator, and the M drive is in the sql server group, and it is a dependency of the sql server. I even took the sql server offline, and back online.

Any ideas of why I can't create a db?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Try failing the cluster over to node 2 and bringing back to node 1. That should fix it. 😀

Dave Coats

• Dave Coats (8/12/2009)

Try failing the cluster over to node 2 and bringing back to node 1. That should fix it. 😀

I don't think this will solve the problem. If there would have been any issues on accessing M: drive which is also in the same sql server cluster group, then cluster would have automatically failed over to node 2.

It would be interesting to see if this solves the problem by failing over the nodes

• I've seen that before, I would just remove it as a dependency, take the node offline then re-add as dependency then bring it back online, if this a production environment do it during a maint window. 😀

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply