Cannot Create a Connection To Data Source

• I have Reporting Services installed on one server and the databases for it are hosted on another instance of SQL which is on a different server. I can run reports just fine when I'm on the server in which Reporting Services is installed. However, when I navigate to the Report Manager on my local machine and try to run a report I get the error 

• An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)

• Cannot create a connection to data source 'xxxxx'. (rsErrorOpeningConnection)

• For more information about this error navigate to the report server on the local server machine, or enable remote errors

Database xxxxx makes sense because that's where the dataset of the report is configured. I look at the logs and find this message ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.ReportProcessingException: , Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.ReportProcessingException: Cannot create a connection to data source 'xxxxx'. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'.

Here is where I'm confused because I'm using a SQL Account that is a sysadmin to connect to the Report Server Database. I'm not sure why it's coming across as anonymous but it is an issue because users cannot run reports from their own machines. Do I need to make a change to the connection?

• RonMexico - Friday, March 29, 2019 11:56 AM

I have Reporting Services installed on one server and the databases for it are hosted on another instance of SQL which is on a different server. I can run reports just fine when I'm on the server in which Reporting Services is installed. However, when I navigate to the Report Manager on my local machine and try to run a report I get the error 

• An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)

• Cannot create a connection to data source 'xxxxx'. (rsErrorOpeningConnection)

• For more information about this error navigate to the report server on the local server machine, or enable remote errors

Database xxxxx makes sense because that's where the dataset of the report is configured. I look at the logs and find this message ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.ReportProcessingException: , Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.ReportProcessingException: Cannot create a connection to data source 'xxxxx'. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'.

Here is where I'm confused because I'm using a SQL Account that is a sysadmin to connect to the Report Server Database. I'm not sure why it's coming across as anonymous but it is an issue because users cannot run reports from their own machines. Do I need to make a change to the connection?

The issue is in the connection.  You will need to specify the proper login and connection type in the connection.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael - I'm fairly new to SSRS so I'm not sure what you mean by that. In Reporting Services Configuration Manager --> Database --> Current Report Server Database Credential I have a SQL Account configured. Are you saying I need to change something in there?

• RonMexico - Friday, March 29, 2019 12:11 PM

Michael - I'm fairly new to SSRS so I'm not sure what you mean by that. In Reporting Services Configuration Manager --> Database --> Current Report Server Database Credential I have a SQL Account configured. Are you saying I need to change something in there?

No, in the data source of the actual report.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• That did it. Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply