Cannot connect to named instance (2nd instance) from local SSMS

• Hello All,

I've two instances(Default, Named[dynamics\FINANCE]) running on SQL server 2014. However, when I try to connect to named instance say (dynamics\FINANCE) using SQL authentication from local SSMS, I get below error message:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -1)

I assigned a static port number to the named instance [dynamics\FINANCE] 1450. I also setup the firewall rule to allow access to Port 1450.

What am I missing here? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• what is 'dynamics'?

Is it an DNS Alias name?

• Marsha,

Yes, it is a DNS alias name for the server.

Thanks

• Is the SQL Browser running on the server?

Can you take me through the steps you used to create the instances?

• Marsha (7/22/2015)

Is the SQL Browser running on the server?

Can you take me through the steps you used to create the instances?

this. if you don't have the service running, you must explicitly set the port in the connection info.

so for your SSMS connection, as well as any connection string, should be server\instance{comma} port

dynamics\FINANCE,1450

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• You need to restart the SQL Server browser service if it's already running otherwise start it if it's not running.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply