Cannot connect from passive node to SQL Server Cluster

• Hi All,

I've made a sql server cluster environment with two nodes Node1 and Node2. Both nodes are UP in the cluster manager. When Node1 is active I can connect to the sql server cluster but cannot from Node2, and vise versa.

TCP/IP is enabled. The Firewall TCP ports are opened.

When trying to connect from the passive node the error message is

Cannot connect to SQLCLUSTER2014.

------------------------------

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Connection Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed while attempting to consume the pre-login handshake acknowledgement.

This could be because the pre-login handshake failed or the server was unable to respond back in time.

The duration spent while attempting to connect to this server was - [Pre-Login] initialization=21013; handshake=0;

(Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -2)

Can anyone suggest something for this?

Igor Micev,My blog: www.igormicev.com

• Hi Igor,

Are you saying that you cannot connect to the instance from the node which is not active, only from the active node, whichever that one is?

• RVarn (8/15/2016)

Hi Igor,

Are you saying that you cannot connect to the instance from the node which is not active, only from the active node, whichever that one is?

I cannot connect from the node that is not currently holding the resources (the passive one), but I can connect from the node that is holding the resources.

• Try using the IP address of the virtual instance with a comma and the port number where the server name goes in SSMS on the inactive node. Also, you could verify that the spns are set correctly in the Kerebos Configuration Manager. Anything in any of the error logs - sql or windows?

• RVarn (8/15/2016)

Try using the IP address of the virtual instance with a comma and the port number where the server name goes in SSMS on the inactive node. Also, you could verify that the spns are set correctly in the Kerebos Configuration Manager. Anything in any of the error logs - sql or windows?

I don't have to use the VMs' IP addresses. I have the SQL Server Cluster with an IP. I tried using the IP and didn't pass again. In the network protocols TCP/IP is enabled and 1433 is used everywhere. Kerberos should not be used in this situation. All VMs are Windows Server 2012 R2 and all are running (I'm able to ping everyone from everyone).

• Try from command line using below commands

sqlcmd -S Servername -U username -P password --- If you are connecting by SQL Authentication

or

sqlcmd -S Servername --- --- If you are connecting by Windows Authentication/Domain credentials

Or try to connect using FQDN. like servername.domain.com.

Thank You.

Regards,
    Raghavender Chavva

• Igor Micev (8/16/2016)

RVarn (8/15/2016)

Try using the IP address of the virtual instance with a comma and the port number where the server name goes in SSMS on the inactive node. Also, you could verify that the spns are set correctly in the Kerebos Configuration Manager. Anything in any of the error logs - sql or windows?

I don't have to use the VMs' IP addresses. I have the SQL Server Cluster with an IP. I tried using the IP and didn't pass again. In the network protocols TCP/IP is enabled and 1433 is used everywhere. Kerberos should not be used in this situation. All VMs are Windows Server 2012 R2 and all are running (I'm able to ping everyone from everyone).

Igor,

Allow the TCP Port 1433 and UDP Port 1434 and you will be able to connect.Make sure SQL browser is running.

• VastSQL (8/16/2016)

Igor Micev (8/16/2016)

RVarn (8/15/2016)

Igor,

Allow the TCP Port 1433 and UDP Port 1434 and you will be able to connect.Make sure SQL browser is running.

Exactly this. Thanks!

• Allow the TCP Port 1433 and UDP Port 1434 and you will be able to connect.Make sure SQL browser is running.

Exactly this. Thanks!

Glad to hear its working for you now. Mark the solution as answer so that it will be helpful for those looking at the issue in future.

• I am having the same problem.  my sql 2016 cluster is on azure.  i have opened 1433 tcp and 1434 udp ports in firewall and in azure network security group attached to both servers.

sql browser is running on both nodes, but i am unable to connect from either passive node, or from outside the cluster nodes.

i'll really appreciate any pointers with this.

• ali-khawaja wrote:

I am having the same problem.  my sql 2016 cluster is on azure.  i have opened 1433 tcp and 1434 udp ports in firewall and in azure network security group attached to both servers.

sql browser is running on both nodes, but i am unable to connect from either passive node, or from outside the cluster nodes.

i'll really appreciate any pointers with this.

This is an old thread. Please raise your issue as a new question.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply