Cannot connect error to Analysis Services in SS Mgmt Studio

• I am getting this error in SS Mgmt Studio when attempting to connect to analysis services on a 2005 standard instance:

---------------------------------

Cannot connect to

A connection cannot be made. Ensure that the server is running

(Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient)

Unable to read data from the transport connection. A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. (System)

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. (Sytem)

----------------------------------

There are no errors in the event log. I am able to query the databases just fine. I rebooted the machine, and it and SQL Server came back up. We are still on SQL Server 2005 RTM on Win Server 2003 SP1 (I know, I know; not my machine). Any ideas what to look for next? Thanks.

There is no "i" in team, but idiot has two.
  • Firewall on the server maybe? Check to see what ports it is listening on..

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc966526(printer).aspx

Says that the port it listens on by default is: 2383..

CEWII

• Just to confirm Dave - you mention that 'SQL Server' came back up, did the Analysis Services service start?

Steve.

• Also, SP1 is availabe.. You might install that..

CEWII

• The database engine came back up and I can connect to it and "see" the databases, but not AS.

I can't connect to AS, so I can't tell what port it's listening on.

I just found out that it was throwing "out of memory" errors into the event log starting yesterday afternoon.

Nothing has changed in the configuration of AS or the hardware that would cause a problem.

• I can see 2 possibles for an out-of-memory, the first is that SQL is squeezing it out, I ahve seem this occur on a machine where there was not enough memory and in another case where there was plenty but SQL was allowed to take it ALL, set SQL min max memory. the other is a giant query or in some cases a reprocess that has crossed some invisible magical barrier for size..

CEWII

• Couple of thoughts. I am assuming that SQL server and SSAS are on the same remote server. If you can get onto the server then open SSMS on the server and see if it can connect to SSAS on its own box? Check to see if the SSAS service is running on the server.

SQL server login on your machine may use SQL or windows authentication to connect to the remote SQL Servver. Analysis Sevices connections always use windows authentication. Look at the SQL Server node displayed in SSMS Object Explorer in the brackets is the service pack and the id of how you connected. if it says your_domain\your_name then windows authentication.

I have known it that half way through the day the network thinks you need to change your password. This happened to me the other day. I lost connection to SSAS, turned machine off and on. When I copnnected to the network it prompted me for a new windows password!

Hope something here helps.

Mark.:-D

• I applied SP1 on Monday, and was able to connect to AS. But it took probably a minute to connect, then was very, very slow according to my users. The server monkeys have taken it off line and are installing some firmware and other system software updates (HP DL580?) this a.m. They ran HP diagnostics on Monday afternoon, and said it passed, but was not behaving correctly. I don't really know what that means, so hopefully the updates they are throwing at it will make a difference. Thanks for your help.

• Obviously if you are having network issues this will affect the performance. Sometimes the first person to run a query against a cube will be caching the query for the rest to follow.

Is there any sort of memory management on the server? How big is the page file? Is all the memory being used? Is there enough space for the page file to expand? Is there anything else using the servers resources?

Sorry there is more questions than answers!

Ells.

😎

• Ran into this error when processing a cube on a legacy server. Digging a little deeper showed an error in the TDS stream, so I disabled the TCP chimney to see if it might be the NIC driver. This is the command to disable the chimney.

Netsh int ip set chimney DISABLED

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply