Can we backup from one domain to a different domain?

• Hi,

We have SQL Server 2005 in server A, in domain A and want to backup the databases to Server B, in domain B. Is this possible?

Thanks

• First, I would not do the backup over the network. Do the backup local to server A then move it to server B. Since the servers are in different domains, you may need to establish a trust relationship between the domains. I'm not a network or server admin, but if you set the appropriate privledged, you should be able to move the files from server A to server B.

The reason I would do the backup local is if there is any kind of network issue during the backup, it could fail or be corrupted and rendered useless.

• gmamata7 (1/5/2010)

Hi,

We have SQL Server 2005 in server A, in domain A and want to backup the databases to Server B, in domain B. Is this possible?

Thanks

Yes it is possible. Are the domains a part of the same Forest? Do the domains have trust relationships established?

It may not be an advisable thing to do however. I recommend backing up to a local drive, and then using a job that copies the files to the remote server.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• You can use UNC path but if you want to troubleshoot there will be many factors...always better local and then copy but if you don't have the space locally then it is different issue....

BACKUP DATABASE Foo TO DISK = '\\myserver\myshare\foo.bak' WITH INIT

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply