Can SSIS be installed without SQL Server?

• Greetings.

Is installing SQL Server (database engine) required, in order to install and use SSIS, SSAS, and SSRS? I know Management Studio can be installed without the database engine, but I guess I don't know whether the BI components require SQL Server database engine to be installed on the PC or not. For SSIS, I'm wanting to develop and schedule SSIS packages from a PC separate from those containing the SQL Server instances.

Thanks,

Randy

• You can install BIDS on a pc that doesn't have the SQL engine on it. I've done that.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I believe the answer is yes for all of them. I have installed SSRS on computer other then SQL Server, actually that is the best recommend practice too.

Mohit.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

• what about SSIS?

can you have SSIS on server A and DB services on server B?

SSIS packages will be installed on the filesystem of server A.

Server B will have jobs setup to call packages stored on server A.

can this be done?

My idea is to have SSIS, SSRS and SSAS on server A, DB service on Server B and mirroring the DB on server B to a Server C.

Since the Data Sources on SSIS, SSRS and SSAS support the failover partner they can easly point to Server C in case Server B becomes unavailabe.

what do you think?

• I think there is no problem to have SSIS without DB on server A.

And I think that he will be able to run a package stored in the DB on server B.

But perhaps you would like an SQL AGENT on A to start Jobs? So in this case you will need to install another DB on A.

• Yes you can split SSIS out from SQL server and use one server for SSIS and the other server for databases. If you do this, you will need to license both servers which will drive up costs.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply