Can I allow accessing SSRS 2008 Reports without a password

• I have some reports that are for internal consumption only. Anyone in the company should be able to see them, however, the majority do not have access to the cubes. Can I set up the reports security so that no matter who clicks on the reports they can see them? How would I do this? Can I do this?

• You can use stored credentials to bypass the user credentials for access to the database. However, you will have to be careful to organize the reports in a way that will enable you to grant viewing access only to those users that require it.

Not too difficult, but will take some thought.

• The method I used in this scenario was to use a stored credential against specified reports. That credential was granted exec permissions against only the procs used by those reports for an additional layer of security.

• How/where would I set up stored credentials? How would you set up a stored proc? I am brand new at this and I don't understand what you are saying. Sorry!

• The reports allow you to execute stored procs to generate the required data instead of defining queries. Instead of granting read permissions to every table used in the report(s) you could just grant exec permissions against the procs, which should be more secure.

The credentials are specified for data sources in Report Manager, either shared or custom on individual reports. One of the options is to connect using "Credentials stored securely in the report server".

In combination, it's possible to set up an id with database priveliges to see only these reports.

Does that help?

Matt.

• jsturgeon 49541 (4/6/2011)

I have some reports that are for internal consumption only. Anyone in the company should be able to see them, however, the majority do not have access to the cubes. Can I set up the reports security so that no matter who clicks on the reports they can see them? How would I do this? Can I do this?

As I got you: Go to your Report Server, open folder with Reports, select Properties, Security, New Role Assignment and Add Group (e.g. company domain) or particular User. All Users from company Domain will have access to Reports.

• I got it to work. Thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply