Can I add one more named instance in Cluster?

• I have Active/Passive cluster of on default instance.Can I add one more named instance in it?

Same query with active\active?

Can I anyone provide the link from microsoft?

Thanks

• Yes! you can install another SQL Server Instance on A/P cluster but you have to separate resource for the new Instance.

Ram
    MSSQL DBA

• Thanks..

Seperate resource means:

1. One more data drive from SAN

2. IP for MSdtc and Ip for sql server

anything else...

Thanks

• Same resources as you configure first instance.

Ram
    MSSQL DBA

• You can have as many SQL instances on a cluster as you want, up to the limit of available drive letters. Each instance is hosted in a separate Resource Group, and requires its own set of resources:

. IP Address

. Network Name

. Drive(s)

. You can use Mount points as necessary to conserve drive letters, but each resource group requires at least one drive letter.

You can only have a single SQL instance in each resource group, and once you have installed a SQL instance into a resource group, you cant add or remove components from the resource group (e.g. you can't add SSAS to a resource group with only SQL installed in it).

A good place to start to learn about clustering is MSDN - search for 'windows clustering', and for SQL specifics search for 'sql server clustering'.

Note - MSDN is a very good place to search for answers for all things Windows and SQL Server, at least as a first port of call.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply