Byte Me: Private Cloud

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Byte Me: Private Cloud

• I was in a shop at the weekend and they were selling external hard drives as 'Private Clouds'! Things like this are not going to help the general publics understanding...

I might throw some dry ice in the office waste basket later and as a cloud appears ask "Who binned the cloud?" 🙂

• I was wondering what I should get my wife.

• mjh 45389 (12/23/2015)

I might throw some dry ice in the office waste basket later and as a cloud appears ask "Who binned the cloud?" 🙂

Funny.

• Iwas Bornready (12/23/2015)

I was wondering what I should get my wife.

If you get her a miniature cloud and she knows anything about what it is, it could be humorous or disastrous. You know her, so good luck.

• null

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• null

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (12/23/2015)

mjh 45389 (12/23/2015)

I was in a shop at the weekend and they were selling external hard drives as 'Private Clouds'! Things like this are not going to help the general publics understanding...

Are you talking about one of those wireless home routers with a build in disk drive for backups and file sharing? I guess we could call that a "private cloud" ... although if not configured correctly it could also be a public cloud too.

Eric M Russell (12/23/2015)

mjh 45389 (12/23/2015)

I was in a shop at the weekend and they were selling external hard drives as 'Private Clouds'! Things like this are not going to help the general publics understanding...

Are you talking about one of those wireless home routers with a build in disk drive for backups and file sharing? I guess we could call that a "private cloud" ... although if not configured correctly it could also be a public cloud too.

Nope, hard disc with USB cable...

• mjh 45389 (12/23/2015)

mjh 45389 (12/23/2015)

Heh - like the term isn't over-used and the marketing doesn't confuse people enough already. No wonder people are confused about the increasingly-nebulous term.

• Ed Wagner (12/23/2015)

mjh 45389 (12/23/2015)

mjh 45389 (12/23/2015)

Heh - like the term isn't over-used and the marketing doesn't confuse people enough already. No wonder people are confused about the increasingly-nebulous term.

Companies like to use buzz words too much, to attract those that don't know better.

I won't forget once seeing a mouse pad that was labelled as Windows compatible. They didn't say if it was Mac compatible. 😀

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (12/23/2015)

Ed Wagner (12/23/2015)

mjh 45389 (12/23/2015)

mjh 45389 (12/23/2015)

Companies like to use buzz words too much, to attract those that don't know better.

I won't forget once seeing a mouse pad that was labelled as Windows compatible. They didn't say if it was Mac compatible. 😀

Well, you have to understand the target consumer. As far as Mac users are concerned, a mouse pad isn't officially "Mac compatible" unless it has the Apple logo and was purchased in an Apple store at the full *retail price.

* Purchasing assesories off Amazon can potenially harm your Mac hardware. It's also not classy BTW. :satisfied:

• Know why they call it "the cloud"? The Marketing department didn't think "server room without a door" or "server room you don't own" would sell.

:w00t:;-);-)

• Putting your data in the cloud: that's then you save a backup to external disk, and then have it boosted up the Space Station for safe keeping; right? :Wow:

Putting your data in the cloud: that's then you save a backup to external disk, and then have it boosted up the Space Station for safe keeping; right? :Wow:

Right. The Russians take it to the space station.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply