Bulk Move/Rename of SSRS Reports through Web Services

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Bulk Move/Rename of SSRS Reports through Web Services

• Hi

It looks a very useful and worthwhile project but it would be good to know if the authors thinks this should also work with the more numerous SS2k8 installations out there with only minor tweaks e.g. ReportingService2010 -> ReportingService2005

Regards

Derek

• nicely done.

we exclusively use this sort of technique to deploy reports due to restrictions on access. developers have their own local reporting services, and we all have a shared one in the dev environment. to get things to QA and LIVE, we had to do just as was shown... a console app based around the web service.

for the "target", we're using from the 2005 wsdl:

- .CreateFolder and .DeleteItem to manage the structure on the report server

- .CreateReport, .CreateDatasource, .CreateResource to populate the contents of individual folders, and .DeleteItem to delete them (that method takes a string representing the path to the item on the RS, so it works for both folders and the contents within)

and from the "source" side,

- System.IO.MemoryStream to read off disk and get into a byte() to feed into .CreateReport

• Derek Robinson (8/27/2013)

Hi

It looks a very useful and worthwhile project but it would be good to know if the authors thinks this should also work with the more numerous SS2k8 installations out there with only minor tweaks e.g. ReportingService2010 -> ReportingService2005

Regards

Derek

we've stayed with the 2005 version of service for a while, and i'm not sure where/what the various SQL and RS versions we use are at. i think backwards compatibility has been well protected.

for actual report execution, we had to make very minor changes (like 3-6 lines of code) when we changed to the 2005 version from whatever its predecessor was.

from my recollection, that change was pretty much without any unexpected problem. validating that all the reports still ran as expected took longer than the actual coding itself. i'd expect that if/when we had to do it again, it would be the same.

leveraging the RSService namespace was both a big motivation for us (to get someone else to do the job off hours, remotely) and a requirement once we had to pass auditing checks.

• Hi Derek,

Apologies for the late reply. As far as I'm aware, the ReportingService2010 class will work with 2008 R2. For older versions, use ReportingService2005.

It definately works.

Kind regards

Marius

• Hi,

Iam very rusty with VB but I understant the process layed out in this article...I have followed the article to the point of execution however VS2012 is not providng me the option to run the script. Any help will be much appriciated. Cheers.

P.S. I have checked the System.Web.Services but that hasn't helped. Also when I click the start button to debug the script it redeployes all the reports we have instead of renaming the files in the mapping file.

Many Thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply