BULK INSERT misbehaving when there are less fields in a file than in a table

• I have a table with 6 fields and the file which sometimes contains 6 and sometimes 5 fields.

When there are only 5 fields in the incoming file, BULK INSERT disregards the row terminator and tries to load the whole next line into 6th field.

Is there a workaround for that?

The command I use is

BULK INSERT table

FROM 'file'

WITH

(

FIELDTERMINATOR ='\t',

FIRSTROW = 2,

ROWTERMINATOR = ''

)

• use a format file.

there are examples in books online how to deal with this situation.

N 56°04'39.16"
    E 12°55'05.25"

• I coudn't find a relevant example. Could you at least point me in the right direction?

• Here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191175(SQL.90).aspx

What you also could do, is to make a two-step import routine.

First try to import file using six columns. If that fails, execute the import again using five columns.

DECLARE @rc INT

EXEC @rc = usp_MyImport 'Data filename here', 'Format filename here with 6 columns'

IF @@ERROR <> 0 OR @@rc <> 0

BEGIN

SET @rc = 0

EXEC @rc = usp_MyImport 'Data filename here', 'Format filename here with 5 columns'

END

IF @@ERROR <> 0 OR @@rc <> 0

RAISERROR('Import failed', 18, 1)

N 56°04'39.16"
    E 12°55'05.25"

• The problem is, the import doesn't fail - it simply sticks the next line into the 6th column (which is sufficiently large). So the only way to see that it didn't work correctly is to count the lines in a file and compare to the number of rows inserted.

Some lines in the file have 6 fields, some 5. I can't see how format files with 6 and 5 columns in them will save me here.

• Sergey Kazachenko (12/19/2008)

The problem is, the import doesn't fail - it simply sticks the next line into the 6th column (which is sufficiently large).

It is a sign that the row terminator is wrong.

N 56°04'39.16"
    E 12°55'05.25"

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply