Bogging Down in the Minutia of Minutes

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Bogging Down in the Minutia of Minutes

• That sounds like a good presentation to record.

• Robert Sterbal-482516 (1/30/2016)

That sounds like a good presentation to record.

I agree. I don't know why, but I love date math, working with dates and playing with different approaches.

As to the point of the article, it sure is a good one. I'm a rookie presenter, but I suffer from the same problem. I find that I over-prepare to the point of being ridiculous. I feel like there's not going to be enough material when I start, but I never have enough time to present everything there is to say by the time I'm done. There tend to be a lot of rabbit holes to go down and filtering what to cover and what not to cover became a real problem.

Now, I intentionally go through the presentation in sections, getting each section done and somewhat rehearsed in my head, then moving on to the next one. I'll rehearse the whole presentation a maximum of twice and find it helps me feel not quite so robotic when I do the real presentation. The reviews are fine and I've always felt like I've done an adequate job, but never a great job. Maybe it's because I don't think that what I'm presenting is all that special or unique, but the audience seems to disagree with that assessment.

I call it the "analysis paralysis" of presenting, both in creation and critiquing myself afterwards. I figure I'll get better as I do it more. Like I said, I'm still a rookie at it.

• "What is the best time of day?" I asked the audience…"6:30 hands down."

Where / what is the point of this joke? I don't get it...

• samot-dwarf (2/1/2016)

"What is the best time of day?" I asked the audience…"6:30 hands down."

Where / what is the point of this joke? I don't get it...

If it's 6:30 and you look at the clock, where are the hands of the clock located?

• ok, really a bad joke :hehe:

• I really appreciate all the work that presenters put into their presentations. I hope that someday I live somewhere where I can take advantage of events like SQL Saturday, etc. If it wasn't for dedicated SQL professionals sharing their knowledge through SQLServerCentral.Com and in-person events, a lot of knowledge would go unshared. So, thanks!

• alicesql (2/2/2016)

I really appreciate all the work that presenters put into their presentations. I hope that someday I live somewhere where I can take advantage of events like SQL Saturday, etc. If it wasn't for dedicated SQL professionals sharing their knowledge through SQLServerCentral.Com and in-person events, a lot of knowledge would go unshared. So, thanks!

I live in a dead zone: last year I drove 2 hours to El Paso for a SQL Saturday, in September I drove 600 miles to Denver for theirs. I'm hoping my boss will let me go to the one in Phoenix in April, only 500 miles, and I can stay for free at my parent's.

There are A LOT of SQL Saturdays, there may be one closer than you'd think.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• I live in a dead zone: last year I drove 2 hours to El Paso for a SQL Saturday, in September I drove 600 miles to Denver for theirs. I'm hoping my boss will let me go to the one in Phoenix in April, only 500 miles, and I can stay for free at my parent's.

There are A LOT of SQL Saturdays, there may be one closer than you'd think.

My youngest daughter heads off to college in August, after that I'll have more time to do that kind of traveling!:-)

• Sounds like an interesting and valuable presentation (I am surprised that Steve hasn't commented on what a great article/series of articles it would make).

As for wasting time on the ASCII art, when at a technical college (between school and university) I had a lecturer who had been handed in a rather poor set of and as these weren't graded for certification purposes he decided to use them as examples for our whole group. He showed one which looked perfect and he congratulated that one (I believe "it was a pleasure to read" was said). He showed another whose presentation was, to be generous, "lo-fi" but he said that its contents were excellent. The third he showed looked superb but appeared very, very thin after the contents page. We were informed that it was the lecturer's understanding that the submitters of both #2 and #3 ran out of time. We were told in no uncertain terms that we should produce the likes of #1 but if time was going to run short then be #2 and not #3.

Content over presentation but presentation remains important.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply