Beta Exams

• We ran an announcement a couple weeks ago that the SQL Server 2005 Beta exams were coming and you could apply to take one. It was in a blog by someone and I was wondering how many people would sign up.

I wrote half of the Sybex book for the Database Design exam (70-229) for SQL Server 2000 and part of the author's responsibility was to take the exam. At least it was mine and I hope it will be for everyone now working on 2005 books. The way it worked back then was that I got an invite to the Beta exam, presumably because I was an author, and took that in May one year, just as the book was about finished. Then made some revisions on the book, took the real exam in like July, and finalized the book for a Sept release. the Beta exams are longer, with a larger pool of questions and from these they choose the final ones based on some complicated, mathematical formula. But if you pass, you get credit. I passed both times 😉

This time I'm not writing a book, at least no one's convinced me to yet :), but I was interested in seeing the new exam technology as well as seeing how things have changed, mostly from a journalistic point of view. So I signed up and got an email late Friday afternoon with registration codes and phone numbers to register with. I was surprised the online registration didn't work, but hey, what can you expect.

I tried calling Saturday, but things were closed, and the Ryli coordination with Ryli's aunt and our bookkeeping staff kept me busy this morning, so I didn't call until a little after lunch. There were invites for 2 exams, 71-431 - Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2005 - Implementation and Maintenance, and 71-441 - Designing Database Solutions by Using Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2005. The invite mentioned that only 500 people would take these exams and that for SQL Server 2000 the slots were filled in 4 days.

Well, 71-431 was full today, basically 2 days after being announced, if you count late Friday night as one. I did get into 71-441, so I'll be taking that in early December and I'll have more to report then.

I also had someone ask about opinions on the new certs, so I'll take some time to dig in and get some content and opinions out there for those as well.

Steve Jones

• Steve,

We will be waiting for your report!

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• I managed to get a seat for 71-431.

Michelle

• Go for it, Steve!  After getting an MCSE and a Masters, I am examed out!  Let me know how it goes and good luck to you.

• I was able to register for both of the exams on the Pearson VUE web site last Friday night.  I did not like the drop in a mailbox (late on Friday) and wait until Monday plan.

I'm still not quite sure how to prepare for the Exams. 

I am taking all of the Microsoft ELearning and have ordered "Changing the Paradigm - SQL Server 2005" by Scalability Experts.

Steve why don't we write a book.  Seems like writing a book and preparing for the exams are about the same thing.

Rick

• Rick,

"Steve why don't we write a book.  Seems like writing a book and preparing for the exams are about the same thing."

I say 'Bingo' on that one!

• Any feedback on these exams yet?

What's the format like? How different from the 2000s?

• I took the 431 exam on Tuesday and found that the format really was not any different than the 2000 exams.  In terms of questions I was a bit surprised at the number of GUI (i.e. SQL Management Studio) questions.  That is, even though http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-431.asp mentioned "UI navigation" and "Wizards usage" I didn't believe before the exam that there would be a fair number of questions on them.

• Can you provide some more information? number of questions, difficulty, and what material you use to prepare

• I was expecting over 100 questions because it was a beta exam, but there were less than that.  I did not find the exam all that difficult... if I would have studied the "right" stuff .  That is, in order to prepare for the exam I did all of the Microsoft eLearning stuff (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/elearning/courses/sql2005/default.htm) and read most of SQL 2005 Books Online (see http://msdn2.microsoft.com/ms130214(en-US,SQL.90).aspx), but I found that what would have prepared me better is if I was to thoroughly use SQL Management Studio more.  I still think I probably passed though, although because it is a beta exam it says that I won't know for another 8 weeks .

• whoops, for the eLearning I meant to mention https://www.microsoftelearning.com/sqlserver2005/default.aspx  I went through all of these courses.

I would provide more details about the exam (like more information about type of questions) but don't want to violate any sort of confidentiality agreement (don't know exactly where the line is and so don't want to risk crossing it).

• Thanks for the information. I also have MoC 2733. Are you doing other sql beta exams?

• Yes, I am doing all of the other ones I have been invited to.  I am calling the next few weeks "exam Tuesday" in that I am taking 1 beta exam a week for 5 weeks.  They include: 71-431 (Nov 22), 71-441 (Nov 29), 71-443 (Dec 6), 71-444 (Dec 13) and lastly (so far at least) 71-447 (Dec 20).

• Well, I am also invited for all of them, but I am not sure whether I will have time to do all of them. In fact, I want to pass 71-431 and 71-447. I am studying for 71-431 right now. I am still don't know how to study. (in mean how detailed the questions will be). Anyway, I wish you a lot of luck with the exam. I f you need the moc's, just mention it.

Harry

• There are also some tutorials combined with the SQL Books Online that show you the Management Studio and how to use it.

Download Books Online for 2005 at

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=BE6A2C5D-00DF-4220-B133-29C1E0B6585F&displaylang=en

or view at:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms169620.aspx

Michelle

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply