Best way to keep users/logins/mappings syncrhronized in HAG between primary and secondary replicas?

• Contained databases are great, though this means only user/pwd and not AD integrated logins.

• Really?? According to documentation it supports windows and sql logins???

• Ah, you are correct. I think this didn't work at some point. You needed a login for this.

Containment  is potentially a choice here, but connection strings need to have the db in them.

• I've just tested containment with windows logins and it does work. However the more i look into this the more dubious I am about using them, too many gotchas. For example, if you are using cross-database queries with containment, you have to set the database to 'trustworthy' on the calling database. This is a major security concern if you set the owner of your databases to SA, which most DBAs do. Our devs use cross database queries heavily so it would mean making most of our databases on this server 'trustworthy' - and therefore we'd have to set the database owner to something other than SA - plus have monitoring in place to ensure no one inadvertently sets it back to SA....
    That coupled with the fact that all connection strings have to be checked to ensure they specify the database name - not just set connection strings but all users who connect ad-hoc will need to be trained to do this...... it seems like more trouble than it's worth!!! We were trying to reduce admin not increase it! Think i've just talked myself our of using them - maybe my 'thinking out loud' will help others out there...

• did you check the ( FREE ) Powershell solution dbatools provides which can copy the logins ? ( and a bunch of other SQLServer relatied management features ! )

DBATools https://dbatools.io

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply