Baseline processes to monitor ?

• My company is in the process of evaluating monitoring software (bmc) and below is a list of parameters that are recommended to monitor.

What are the baseline processes to monitor ? and where can I find a detailed explanation of all these parameters ?

ARATest

BlockerProcs

ErrorLogUpdates

NumBlockedProcesses

SQLExecJobFailures

SQLServerStatus

SuspectDatabases

ConnectionsRemaining

IdleProcs

CheckConfiguration

CurConfigsColl

DbSpaceColl

DbStructureColl

ErrorLogColl

GlobalChannelLockErrors

GlobalVarsColl

LocksColl

LogSpaceColl

MonProbUsers

ObjectSizeColl

ProcedureCacheColl

ProcessColl

ResponseColl

SQLServerColl

UserDefinedCountersColl

DatabaseSpaceUsedPct

LogSpaceUsedPct

LongRunningTrans

DiskIoErrors

SpaceUsedPCT

SpaceUsedPCT

PacketErrors

CacheHitRatio

CpuBusy

CpuIdle

CpuIoBusy

LongRunningProcesses

PCProcBuffersActivePct

PCProcBuffersUsedPct

PCProcCacheActivePct

PCProcCacheUsedPct

• I look at cpu usage, disk usage, number of connections. If I have a problem I add more to focus in on where I suspect the problem might be. I guess if the tool gives you all that its ok, but I think its more work than its worth. My opinion!

Andy

• Is there a trade off, if you are using monitoring software, because of the monitoring tool using resources ?

• Sure, to some extent. It also becomes just a matter of quantity. You end up with so much data you can't do much with it without summarizing it anyway.

Other opinions anyone?

Andy

• In general, most monitoring software uses Windows APIs, same as Performance monitor and the load is minimal. The main exception is the disk monitors, though in Windows 2000, these are turned on by default.

I tend to agree with Andy. You probably will not introduce significant load with monitoring. Look at task manager. How much CPU does it use by itself? Most of that is because it is a GUI app.

They only way you can measure the load is to boot the system and run specific load tests on it. then enable monitoring, reboot the machine and do it again. Monitoring from a remote system is less resource intensive, but eats network. We use a separate network for manageemnt/monitoring/admin stuff.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply