Backup when mssqlservice is stopped

• Steve Jones - Editor (4/29/2010)

I would NOT recommend this, but how can stopping the service potentially cause data corruption?

I'm not talking about the service stopping itself so much as all the other horrible things that could be done to that directory WHILE the service is stopped.

People trying to open data files with the wrong programs, people deleting files they shouldn't, or trying to overwrite files with other files, etc.

EDIT: Select * from DifferentColor where Horse <> 'Bay' @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (4/29/2010)

But auto-spawning? Uncontrolled user spawning? I will have nightmares tonight about that one.

Join the crowd;-)

edit: fixed quote problem.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Lynn Pettis (4/29/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (4/29/2010)

Brandie Tarvin (4/29/2010)

haakon 29117 (4/29/2010)

Our trouble is that we have a application witch generates a lot ammount of databases. We are now past about 2700 databases.

Please tell me what this application is so I can avoid using it. No application, in my mind, should ever be able to self-spawn entire databases.

MS CRM is one such application that does this. It permits end users to create new organizations (it can also be scheduled to do it automatically) - which in turn spawns a new database.

SharePoint (MOSS) is another one. You can create multiple content databases.

Websense is another one that auto-spawns new databases on a schedule. The current database is renamed and a new blank database is created. The application controls how often this happens (usually weekly, but can be configured) and how many versions are kept.

The real problem is that the Security people install, setup and configure all of this usually without any IT involvement. When they run out of space and they stop collecting is the first time you find out about it. And that is usually after they have chewed up hundreds of GB's of storage. When you ask them how much of that data they really need - of course, the answer is all of it 🙂

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Jeff,

I had the exact same problem with Websense. I couldn't believe that's how they set up their product. I pushed hard on the Security Admin not to implement this way. I set up a nightly job that deletes data from the top 3 largest tables where date_time < (getdate()-30) and set the data file to restrict it's growth past a certain size.

It's obvious the nightmares this product can cause if implemented by their design. My Security Admin was worried that Websense would not support us we digressed from their design. My suggestion was to push back to Websense that they implement a better, industry standard solution for their product.

good luck

Tim White

• I've also seen this behavior with Websense, and currently, we have a finincial compliance/disclosure 3rd party app that creates a new DB every day.

I often wonder if the people who write this crap have every worked in a corporate environment having to deal with these headaches.

/* ----------------------------- */
    Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!

• GregoryF (4/30/2010)

I've also seen this behavior with Websense, and currently, we have a finincial compliance/disclosure 3rd party app that creates a new DB every day.

I often wonder if the people who write this crap have every worked in a corporate environment having to deal with these headaches.

My bet is that they have not worked in such an environment.

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/30/2010)

GregoryF (4/30/2010)

I've also seen this behavior with Websense, and currently, we have a finincial compliance/disclosure 3rd party app that creates a new DB every day.

My bet is that they have not worked in such an environment.

I'm reminded of how many vendor's say their application only will work when connected as sa, and a similar number who say their application must have sa rights.

No offence to any vendor developers out there, but I really question their knowledge of databases in all but data manipulation respects.

/* ----------------------------- */
    Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!

• GregoryF (4/30/2010)

I'm reminded of how many vendor's say their application only will work when connected as sa, and a similar number who say their application must have sa rights.

No offence to any vendor developers out there, but I really question their knowledge of databases in all but data manipulation respects.

I must say that it is extremely lazy and pathetic. I refused to allow an application in my environment because they required sa. When I ran it up the chain, I got them to relent and finally they conceded to just being dbo (still too much in my opinion) - but it was an improvement.

Learn Extended Events

• Hey everyone 🙂 Thanks for all youre inputs and amusements 🙂

Our application is an acounting system witch we are managing for one of our customers.

We have contacted the vendor of the system begging them to redesign their database design, but without any luck.

The backup is done trough a maintanance task.

From Steve Jones answer we conclude that there is no technical issues with performing cold backups as we described.

If anyone has any technical arguments related to this please feel free to speak up 🙂

\haakon

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply