Backup Sets - Monday Musings

• I was just reading an article that highlighted the importance of specifying your file when doing a recovery from a media set. That is because it will default to the first backup (set) and not the most recent/last backup. It's a great point highlighted by the author but it got me thinking. Mostly because this has never been a concern for me. All my backups are always to a network share and thus a file and I always create a new media set during every backup. I suppose it would make more sense to save to an existing set when backing up to a tape.

That being said it got me thinking...are there any times when it would make more sense to keep reusing the same media set for FILE backups? Doesn't seem like there would be a lot of upside but hey I learn something new everyday.

SELECT quote FROM brain WHERE original = 1
    0 rows returned

• Personally, every backup to its own file whether full, differential, or transaction log. Also, personal preference is to disk, then if needed backup the file(s) to tape.

• Lynn Pettis (3/28/2016)

Personally, every backup to its own file whether full, differential, or transaction log. Also, personal preference is to disk, then if needed backup the file(s) to tape.

Exactly the same here...always seemed like the best way to go but like I said the article just gave me a moment of pause. 🙂 Doesn't hurt to poke your head up every one in a while and ask why or in this case why not?

SELECT quote FROM brain WHERE original = 1
    0 rows returned

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply