Backup: FORMAT vs INIT

• Hi. I understand that FORMAT creates a new header in the media set and INIT overwrites existing backups in the media set, so I'm curious why I sometimes see the INIT option used together with FORMAT. Why would that be necessary sometimes but not other times? 

Thanks

• peter 82125 - Friday, October 27, 2017 7:11 PM

Hi. I understand that FORMAT creates a new header in the media set and INIT overwrites existing backups in the media set, so I'm curious why I sometimes see the INIT option used together with FORMAT. Why would that be necessary sometimes but not other times? 

Thanks

The two were typically used together to prevent corruption in the header. It was usual to see both.
    More people do individual backup files now but there was a time when disk space was expensive and a lot of places would only allow backups to tape. I think some of the backup options reflect some of what was needed at that time. And it was especially easy to get the corruption with backups to tape. Not sure how much it applies now but it's not going to hurt anything to use both.

Sue

• Thank you 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply