BACKUP failed to complete the command

• I am using a script file running inside of InstallShield.  There are 39 db's that I am trying to backup.  It seems like the db's that are greater than 1 GB are failing.  I'm not sure if the process or what.  Any thoughts

• What script are you running?  What error messages are you seeing as output or in the SQL Server error log?

• I'm just running a general backup script similar to:

use master

go

if (select count(*) from sysdevices where name = 'DB_Data') = 0

EXEC sp_addumpdevice 'disk', 'DB_Data',

'D:\SCDATA\DATA\DB_db.bak'

go

dump database cad to DB_Data

go

In MS SQL Analyzer, it works fine.  The output from SQL Server error log is "BACKUP failed to complete the command

backup database DB to DB_Data" . The name is fictious, but that the script for all of them.  Only of the big files.

Thanks

• In Enterprise Manager, go to Management > Jobs.

Find your backup job, right click on it, select Job History. Check the box for expanding job steps. Find where it fails and see if any further information is given. Also, check the Windows Event Viewer Logs.

-SQLBill

• I finally recieve an error that the process had timeout.  I know with InstallShield can set this value, but can I set it in script as well?

• I don't know that one. Sorry.

-SQLBill

• Hi Koltron,

Interesting idea, using an installer as a script engine to back up your databases.

Why not just use the job engine that is built in to the Sql Server?

Richard L. Dawson
    Microsoft Sql Server DBA/Data Architect

I can like a person. People are arrogant, ignorant, idiotic, irritating and mostly just plain annoying.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply