Backup error on network drive

• Not to put a too finer line on this but ....... this is a Red gate sponsored community server.. Correct ? I have been using SQL Backup for more than 3 years now and all these questions and worries can be solved by trying the product. Network backups.. transfers .. log shipping .. backup copies .. Network restores .. compression.. email notifications.... the dollars they are charging comapred to the time wasted creating 'roll your own' backup stategies is a pittance. Do your employer a favour get them to invest in something that works and get on to doing something interesting.

CodeOn

😛

• Ignacio A. Salom Rangel (6/3/2008)

I almost forgot. Remember to use an UNC path!

Ignacio is right:

- Use UNC path (\\servername\sharename\subfolder)

- SQL server service account (the sql agent account is NOT enough!) should have read/write (full is best) permission on backup folder AND share (this is the tricky part!)

I would add this:

- if your sql server service is running under some local (non-domain) windows account (because you do not have a domain, for example), you should on remote (backup) machine create account with the SAME username and password as the local one SQL server engine is running, and give it required permissions on the remote backup folder and remote backup share (both!). Explanation: Sql server service cannot use credentials you stored in windows credential manager (Control Panel->Credential Manager), so you may e.g. successfully browse remote files with windows explorer because it is using credentials from your vault, but sql server cannot and backup will not work until you do this same user/pwd trick.

• Posted Wednesday, May 21, 2008 9:55 PM

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply