Backup Database with Stop at command

• Hello Team,

I have one issue on Production Database ( SQL 2008 SP1 Cu4).

This database is backend for MS SCCM application.

SCCM administrator has executed one delete command on database ( which is in simple recovery) and now wants me to restore the database to its original state.

I found that STOP at command does not supported in simple recovery model.

Any Help..

• best way is to restore the backup to a new database name and then copy the data from the backup to the live DB, you wont be able to use STOP AT in this instance.

• Ok,

Hope this works out ....:-)

• chetanr.jain (4/5/2012)

I found that STOP at command does not supported in simple recovery model.

Yep. "Simple" means no point in time recovery.

That's why "simple recovery" and "production" are not usually found together.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Nope..

It allowes me to user STOP AT command in Full database restore.

However, it allowes me to specify the time between only when full backup started and completed.

THis does not solved my purpose.

Nope..

However, it allowes me to specify the time between only when full backup started and completed.

THis does not solved my purpose.

You need to be in FULL/Bulked Logged recovery mode to use STOPAT in a restore, also you cannot use STOPAT while restoring a BAK file, its only used when restoring TRN files, need to be careful in bulk mode as if that log contains a bulk operation you cannot do STOPAT and you need to restore the whole TRN file

Nope..

Yes, but it's completely ignored. A full backup can only restore to the point that it completed.

The only time STOPAT is honoured is when restoring a log backup, which requies a recovery model other than Simple, as Gianluca indicated.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply