backup database task in maintenance plan

• For sql server management studio 2005, when I tried to create a maintenance plan for a backup database task, in the database dropdown menu, it says select one or more, when I click it, it shows default to choose "These databases:"

Then I see a list of database with a check box in front of them.

My question is: if I want to back up all the databases in the box, do I need to check the box in front of each one of them? Or just leave it as it is.

I observed a recent backup without doing the checkbox, it seems there is no backup files created. So does it mean I have to check the boxes?

Also if I check the boxes, it changes to specific databases, but after If I click the task again, it defaults back to select one or more database instead of showing specific databases?

Is this a desiged problem or I miss something?

Thanks

• If you're wanting to backup all databases except for the system databases then select 'User Databases'. This will backup everything EXCEPT the system DB's. So, you will need to create another sub plan or maintenance plan for them.

• Make sure you're on at least Service Pack 3. I hear many Maint Plan bugs were fixed from earlier releases.

• If you want to backup selected databases, you would need to put a check beside each one you want to backup.

As suggested though if you want all the user databases, excluding the system DBs, you can check the radio button "All user databases".

I have had issues when I selected specific databases and after going back into the plan they showed unselected. This was fixed I believe after SP2. Loading SP3 or SP4 for SQL 2005 should resolve that issue for you.

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

• Thank you!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply