backup and restore

• Hi All,

I have couple of questions and really look at something like level 200 stuff.

Any links would also be much appreciated.

First question,

My backup is very slow. Assume that i dont have no other jobs on the server and this is the only job which is running on the server and also it is a local backup and network backup.

What are the things we can check first and what exactly happens when a backup command is run.

Second question,

My restore is slow. What are all the possible causes of restore being slow.

What happens internally when i restore a database? what phased interally it undergoes and what might be the reasons and troubleshooting steps for my restore being slow.

Am really looking forward to know something internal over here.

Can anyone direct me in the right direction ?

Thanks in advance.

• They are both IO-bound operations. Hence if they're slow the first place I'd look is at the IO performance and throughput.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • How to check IO is slow and what are the troubleshootings steps/pre-cautionary steps taken fore good I/O performance?

Any reference links/case study to understand more about this?

• Also, how to find out sql server is running out of memory and it requires more memory? Any links/case study/blog or so would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

• This topic (Backup Reads and Writes) and its associated subtopics should shed some light on the backup/restore process and IO requirements, including some simple tests you can run to determine the bottleneck(s).

SQL BAK Explorer - read SQL Server backup file details without SQL Server.
    Supports backup files created with SQL Server 2005 up to SQL Server 2017.

• Oracle_91 (8/23/2011)

Hi All,

I have couple of questions and really look at something like level 200 stuff.

Any links would also be much appreciated.

First question,

My backup is very slow. Assume that i dont have no other jobs on the server and this is the only job which is running on the server and also it is a local backup and network backup.

What are the things we can check first and what exactly happens when a backup command is run.

Second question,

My restore is slow. What are all the possible causes of restore being slow.

What happens internally when i restore a database? what phased interally it undergoes and what might be the reasons and troubleshooting steps for my restore being slow.

Am really looking forward to know something internal over here.

Can anyone direct me in the right direction ?

Thanks in advance.

The speed of database backup and recovery depends on your database environment and the algorithm of the sql backup software you use.

If you choose to backup to network, you should consider the network transmission rate which will influence the speed of backup performance.

I think you don’t need to know what exactly happens but whether the backup software can work out or not.

The speed of your database recovery is related to the amount of database, and the way you choose to recovery (sector by sector recovery?) and so on.

If you want to have further understanding of SQL Server backup and recovery, you can download free trial of EaseUS Todo Backup Advanced Server at http://www.backup-sql-server.com/download.htm and have a try. Feel free to contact our technical support team (support@todo-backup.com).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply