Backing up Production mirrored db and restoring to QA mirrored environment weekly

• I've got a Production and QA environment hosting 8 mirrored databases each.

For Example:

QADB1 QADB2

rc_white --> rc_white

rc_green --> rc_green

rc_blue --> rc_blue

PRODDB1 PRODDB2

prod_white --> prod_white

prod_green --> prod_green

prod_blue --> prod_blue

etc.

Is it possible to backup the production mirrored database weekly and restore it over the corresponding rc_ db? Here is what I was thinking... I could run a weekly backup job on each of the prod mirror instances and loop through the 8 production dbs to see if they are the principle on that instance. If so, perform a mirrored db/ tran log backup to get the backup files to the appropriate QA instance. Then, Have another job on each QA instance that would determine whether the rc_ db on that instance is the principle and if so, break the rc_ mirror and drop the reflected rc db. Next, I would restore the prod db/ tran backup over the rc db and then run a script to rebuild the mirror and start syncronization. However, I didn't want to go down this road if this isn't even going to work or there is a better option?!? 🙂

One other note: The goal of this exercise is to have a release candidate environment (hence rc_ db names) on the QA instance where mock deployments could be performed/ tested before rolling out to production.

Thanks!

• bmsadmin (4/19/2011)

For Example:

QADB1 QADB2

rc_white --> rc_white

rc_green --> rc_green

rc_blue --> rc_blue

PRODDB1 PRODDB2

prod_white --> prod_white

prod_green --> prod_green

prod_blue --> prod_blue

etc.

Is it possible to backup the production mirrored database weekly and restore it over the corresponding rc_ db? Thanks!

You can't backup a mirrored database. If you backup from PRODDB1 and then Restore to QADB1 (principal for QA environment), then you need to re initialize mirroring from QADB1 --> QADB2. This is possible to do with scripting , just a little complicated.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply