Backing up a database named update

• I have what I think is a unique situation.  I recently deployed an application that uses several databases in SQL Express.  One of the databases is named "update".  For my SQL Express deployments, I typically script the backups using the following command.

BACKUP DATABASE update TO DISK = N'C:\SQLBackups\update.bak' WITH INIT

This works great for the rest of the databases but not for the one called update.  When I try to run the command I get the error; Incorrect syntax near the keyword update.  I have tried putting update in both single and double quotes but I get the same result.

I assume SQL is confused and thinks I am trying to run an update command.  Does anyone have any insight or any suggestions on how I can make SQL understand that is a database name?  This is a vendor-supplied application so I am unable to change the DB name.

• Have you tried putting the database name in square [ ] brackets?

Thanks

• Fortunately, it's as simple as wrapping the database name in brackets -- i.e.,

BACKUP DATABASE [update] TO DISK = N'C:\SQLBackups\update.bak' WITH INIT

Your vendor is at best, uninformed about polite society's rule against using keywords as object names, and perhaps a bit sadistic. 🙂

• NorthernSoul wrote:

Have you tried putting the database name in square [ ] brackets?

Thanks

ratbak wrote:

Fortunately, it's as simple as wrapping the database name in brackets -- i.e.,

BACKUP DATABASE [update] TO DISK = N'C:\SQLBackups\update.bak' WITH INIT

Your vendor is at best, uninformed about polite society's rule against using keywords as object names, and perhaps a bit sadistic. 🙂

Thank you for this.  Putting it in brackets worked perfectly.  I believe they were uninformed.  The application is actually developed by the New York State Police and provided free to local police departments.  It's very unpolished.

• that reminds me of one of those bad practice examples i wrote, to show how confusing keywords as object names could be.

IF NOT EXISTS(SELECT 1 FROM sys.databases WHERE name ='SELECT')
    CREATE DATABASE [SELECT];
    GO
    USE [SELECT];
    GO
    CREATE SCHEMA "SELECT";
    GO
    CREATE TABLE [SELECT].[SELECT]([SELECT] INT IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
    "[SELECT]" VARCHAR(10) DEFAULT 'SELECT');

INSERT INTO [SELECT].[SELECT] DEFAULT VALUES ;

SELECT
    [SELECT].[SELECT] --TableName.ColumnName
    "SELECT", --Alias
    [SELECT]."[SELECT]" --TableName.ColumnName
    "SELECT" --Alias
    FROM [SELECT].[SELECT].[SELECT] ---DatabaseName.SchemaName.TableName
    [SELECT]--Alias
    WHERE "[SELECT]" --ColumnName
    = 'SELECT'; --Static String

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply