Back to Basics: Capturing Baselines on Production SQL Servers

• Hi-

You can store baselines from different servers in one database - you can really do anything you want 🙂

You'll have to design a strategy and figure out how you're going to capture the data and move it over to the main database. Maybe you write it to tables in each local database, and then at night do an export and move it to the central database. Maybe you create a linked server and push the data across that way, or perhaps you create a SSIS package that captures and moves the data.

There are many options - you just need to decide what's in your comfort zone to create, and then make sure that what you implement doesn't adversely affect performance.

Erin

HildaJ (5/23/2013)

Good article, it will definitely point me in the right direction, I'm a very new DBA and I'm learning all the tricks and what to watch for.

One question, how can we store the same baselines from different servers into one database? I have about 4 different sql servers that I'd like to get the same baseline information but I want to store the database and values in one system.

Thanks.

• Thank you, I had in mind link servers and ssis packages. I'm leaning towards SSIS packages because it seems to give more control and more options. Thank you for your ideas. I need to try to not second guess my self too much and trust my instincts more.

Thanks again.

• Trust your instincts, but always test in a TEST/DEV environment first 🙂 Then you prove how much you *do* know, and you prove it out in a safe environment.

Erin

HildaJ (5/23/2013)

Thank you, I had in mind link servers and ssis packages. I'm leaning towards SSIS packages because it seems to give more control and more options. Thank you for your ideas. I need to try to not second guess my self too much and trust my instincts more.

Thanks again.

• Thank you Erin, will do, I tell myself test, test, and test again 🙂

• Thanks Erin.

Nice article.

Simple, useful and easy to implement 😉

• Glad it was helpful!

-Erin

• Thank you, Erin! Pretty impressive article. I look forward to using the scripts as soon as possible.

- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• Thanks Erin, very helpful.

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • Nice and simple.

• Hi Erin

I've just come across this article and it looks almost perfect for what I need to start capturing.
    The only other thing I want to capture is CPU usage but I can find any scripts to give me the percentage (almost like the Activity Monitor graph).

Any ideas?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply