Azure DTU Calculator

• Hi

My business is looking to move some services to the Azure cloud.  I have been tasked with looking into pricing of Azure databases and have come across the DTU calculator to help you recommend the different pricing tiers.

I understand the metrics it captures is against the database server however on most of my servers there are two instances of SQL Server.

So is there arny use in running the DTU calculator because of the two instances on one server?

If there is no  point in running the calculator, is there another way to measure to recommend a DTU level?
    Thanks

• Maybe it's too early for me being I just woke up, but you can put as many Azure SQL Databases on the calculator as you want in meaning, you aren't just restricted to estimating one instance.  You can fill up the calculator with 1,000 rows of Azure SQL Databases. You can name each one like AMCOPROD01 and AMCODEV01. Then estimate the costs for each instance you need per N servers.

Now, if you are talking about the managed instanced of the Azure DB product types. Again, you can choose DTU or Managed Instanced. I don't believe you can get around having to purchase one Managed instance per SQL Server instance. Thus, if you had 2 SQL Server instances per 1 VM instance, you have to purchase 2 Managed instances of Azure DB. As above, you can pick many instances per line and estimate those.

If that's all true, nothing is stopping you from just estimating VM's only and installing your own SQL Server on each VM or in your case, 2 instances per VM with your own licenses.

The costs do change and the DTU calculator is really meant for estimates of costs. Not the final price tag.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply