AWS RDS two instances Virginia and Ireland, run Redgate data compare and get transport level error/timeout

• Morning,

I ran redgate compare between two instances one in the US one in Ireland, no problem synchronizing the schema over. When I run the data compare I get a transport-level error.

A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The semaphore timeout period has expired.)

Has anyone had this before, it is also affecting long running requests over the JDBC drivers very often but over the SSIS wizard it seems more resiliant but every now and then fails.

Many Thanks

Oliver

• Where are you running the redgate software?  Are you running on an EC2 instance in one of those regions or from on premise?

MCITP SQL 2005, MCSA SQL 2012

• Hi,
    I am running from an EC2 instance  in Virginia.
    Many Thanks

• Typically when I have had semaphore timeouts it has been due to CPU pressure on the resource, have you checked the CPU usage stats on the RDS instances and the EC2 Instance in cloud watch?

Also are you seeing these same timeout errors in either of the RDS instance SQL log?

• I dont see any high CPU pressure on either.
    What should I be looking for in the logs, if it just timesout then it doesnt appear in the logs right?
    Thankyou

• If its the SQL server timing out then it should also appear in the SQL server Log, there may be further information which can help debug, if its just the client timing out (EC2 instance) then more information may be in the Windows Event log of the EC2 instance.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply