Availability Groups and dm_hadr_database_replica_states dmv

• Hello.
    I am trying to figure out what the difference is between the following columns  on

sys.dm_hadr_database_replica_states   (SQL 2016 )

last_sent_time
    Last_receive_time
    last_hardened_time
    Last_redo_time

last_sent_time and last_receive_time seem to age out while last_hardened_time and last_redo_time seem to stay in line with changes being made on the primary and replication.
    What do the values in last_sent_time and last_received_time actually mean/represent?

Thanks
    Mark G.

• ganci.mark - Monday, April 30, 2018 1:07 PM

Hello.
    I am trying to figure out what the difference is between the following columns  on

sys.dm_hadr_database_replica_states   (SQL 2016 )

last_sent_time
    Last_receive_time
    last_hardened_time
    Last_redo_time

last_sent_time and last_receive_time seem to age out while last_hardened_time and last_redo_time seem to stay in line with changes being made on the primary and replication.
    What do the values in last_sent_time and last_received_time actually mean/represent?

Thanks
    Mark G.

Well, typing sys.dm_hadr_database_replica_states into a google search returned this link:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/system-dynamic-management-views/sys-dm-hadr-database-replica-states-transact-sql?view=sql-server-2017

Which states:

last_sent_timedatetimeTime when the last log block was sent.

last_received_timedatetimeTime when the log block ID in last message received was read on the secondary replica.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Thanks Mike.
    I did get that far with the Microsoft documentation however  What I was looking for was a better explanation of what each value meant in relation to the replication process. 
    last_sent_time
    Last_receive_time
    last_hardened_time
    Last_redo_time
    How are these related to each other and  the data replication process.

Real example: 
    last_sent_time =2018-05-01 16:29:46.050
    last_received_time  = 2018-05-01 16:29:46.050
    last_redone_time = 2018-05-01 16:29:36.563  
    last_hardened_time= 2018-05-01 16:29:38.040
    Does this mean the changes were sent/received at 16:29:46  and it took 10 seconds to "redo"(apply) them and 2 seconds to "commit"(harden) them?

Thanks

Mark G.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply