Automating SQL Server Health Check (SQL Server 2005)

• nplace6530 (2/2/2010)

Hi All

I was also a little concerned about turning on cmdshell so I have made the following changes to the original script which shows backup file data but does not use cmdshell.

Replace:

CREATE TABLE #dirpaths

(

files VARCHAR(2000)

)

With:

CREATE TABLE #dirpaths

(

files nvarchar(2000),

Depth int,

IsFile bit

)

And replace:

SELECT @STR = 'EXEC master.dbo.xp_cmdshell ''dir "' + @URL +'" /B/O:D'''

INSERT #dirpaths SELECT 'PATH: ' + @URL

With:

select @STR = 'EXEC Master.dbo.xp_DirTree "' + @URL + '",1,1'

INSERT #dirpaths SELECT 'PATH: ' + @URL, 1, 1

This replaces the "EXEC master.dbo.xp_cmdshell" command with the undocumented "EXEC Master.dbo.xp_DirTree" command.

No need to switch on the potentially dangerous xp_cmdshell option.

First off, thanks for the code. It is amazing and it will help me greatly if i resolve this issue.

The code was working fine but for security reasons I needed to turnoff xp_cmdshell on production environment. Then I tried the work around above and I replaced both segments of the code but i couldnt get it working to return the Physical Backup Files . However when I only commented out SELECT @STR = 'EXEC master.dbo.xp_cmdshell ''dir "' + @URL +'" /B/O:D''' and it just work fine. Was it supposed to work eventhough i commented out this part of the code? I checked again and xp_cmdshell is still turned off. Can I then assume it is safe and continue using it on production environment safely?

Please help.

Thanks,

• @ritesh-2,

@arr.nagaraj i will work on CPU thing

CPU used by SQL Server can be found from sys.dm_os_ring_buffers.

Refer http://strictlysql.blogspot.com/2010/06/finding-cpu-utilization-in-sql-server.html%5B/url%5D

• @raj thats excellent and thank you so much for posting on this article ๐Ÿ™‚

• @ritesh-2,

Welcome ๐Ÿ™‚

• Hi all,

just a quick hint concerning the change of the proc using xp_dirtree instead of xp_cmdshell.

You have to modify the string

INSERT #dirpaths values('')

to

INSERT #dirpaths values('','','')

Otherwise you get an error when inserting the blank row into #dirpaths (got it by myself on a SQL 2008)

Regards

Dirk

--
    May you never suffer the sentiment of spending a day without any purpose.
    @DirkHondong on Twitter

• Is there a SQL2000 version of this SP?

...thanks

• Hello,

I'm not a expert but there something tricky because I didn't get the right execution time for jobs.

First I replaced "INSERT #jobs_status EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_help_job" by

"select sj.job_id, sj.name, sc.name as Category, sj.Enabled, sjs.last_run_outcome,

(select max(run_date) from sysjobhistory sjh where sjh.job_id = sj.job_id) as last_run_date

into #jobs_status

from sysjobs sj

join syscategories sc

on sj.category_id = sc.category_id

join msdb.dbo.sysjobservers sjs

on sjs.job_id = sj.job_id "

It works but I thing there are a problem with this part of script :

"Datediff(mi, A.last_executed_step_date, A.stop_execution_date) execution_time_minutes"

Why did you use "last_executed_step_date" and not "start_execution_date" to calculate the execution time of job.

I executed this script to check I get a different result but when I compared with the history of jobs I got the right result :

select

A.job_id,

A.start_execution_date,

A.stop_execution_date,

datediff(mi, A.start_execution_date, A.stop_execution_date) execution_time_minutes

from msdb..sysjobactivity A

Could you help me ?

• Find it useful. Many Thanks!

Roy

• Has there been a fix for the error below?

Warning: Null value is eliminated by an aggregate or other SET operation. [SQLSTATE 01003] (Message 8153) Arithmetic overflow error converting int to data type numeric. [SQLSTATE 22003] (Error 8115). The step failed.

• I have to take a look on monday when Iยดm back in office.

Also had the error in the beginning. Just changed a variable or column of a temp table since it was too small.

That fixed it for me.

Cannot remember right now where the problem exactly was

--
    @DirkHondong on Twitter

• How can i declared a variable at the beginning of the stored procedure, @TableHTML ?

• Sorry Christopher,

I completely forgot to look after the modification to get rid of the overflow error.

The only difference I have found is in line 330 (depending on your editor of choice).

It's the select ...

from sys.databases MST

inner join (select b.name [LOG_DBNAME],

CONVERT(DECIMAL(10,2), sum....

Here I have a DECIMAL(20,2).

Afterwards the script worked fine for me.

christopher.jones 39322 (11/18/2011)

Has there been a fix for the error below?

Warning: Null value is eliminated by an aggregate or other SET operation. [SQLSTATE 01003] (Message 8153) Arithmetic overflow error converting int to data type numeric. [SQLSTATE 22003] (Error 8115). The step failed.

--
    @DirkHondong on Twitter

• What exactly do you need or in which part of the sproc do you want to declare an additional variable?

alnawrass2002 (4/8/2012)

How can i declared a variable at the beginning of the stored procedure, @TableHTML ?

--
    @DirkHondong on Twitter

• Dirk.Hondong (4/10/2012)

What exactly do you need or in which part of the sproc do you want to declare an additional variable?

alnawrass2002 (4/8/2012)

How can i declared a variable at the beginning of the stored procedure, @TableHTML ?

Its mentioned in the article: " I have declared a variable at the beginning of the stored procedure, @TableHTML, which gets built and then executed at the end before it sends an e-mail".

What the code the declare the same?

Regards

• Where is the .sql File. Also, i do not see SP code for TableHTML

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 140 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply