Automatic Plan Correction

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, November 21, 2017 8:22 AM

WayneS - Tuesday, November 21, 2017 8:08 AM

Jason A. Long - Monday, November 20, 2017 5:13 PM

5 stars from me as well... 
    Legend has it, the new system will also be able to recommend altering to existing indexes and/or suggest filtered indexes... Basically a DTA that doesn't suck...
    So, I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for so see if this becomes a series.

This is available in Azure SQL Database right now. I would expect to see this in an upcoming version of the on-premises SQL Server. Note that you can disable index creation and/or index dropping separately. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/automatic-tuning/automatic-tuning

I did read that article previously and was a bit disappointed that they hadn't already pushed it to on-premise without a full blown version change.  I realize this has become the hot new trend for MS release patterns but you would think that their code base would be similar enough that they could push it to on-premise a bit more quickly.[/quote]

This "feature" has been a hot topic as to whether it should actually be in the product. There is one (undocumented) DMV in SQL Server 2017 that seems to pertain to this feature, but there is no data in it (yet). I think it will control whether indexes can be added or dropped - strictly a guess at this point.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS - Tuesday, November 21, 2017 8:08 AM

Jason A. Long - Monday, November 20, 2017 5:13 PM

5 stars from me as well... 
    Legend has it, the new system will also be able to recommend altering to existing indexes and/or suggest filtered indexes... Basically a DTA that doesn't suck...
    So, I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for so see if this becomes a series.

This is available in Azure SQL Database right now. I would expect to see this in an upcoming version of the on-premises SQL Server. Note that you can disable index creation and/or index dropping separately. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/automatic-tuning/automatic-tuning

[/quote]
    Thank you for the info Wayne. I do have access to a few Azure instances (including the freebee that came with my msdn account)... I just haven't stat down and done anything with it yet. I suppose this is my wakeup call. The fact that our new platform is being built on Azure, means I really do need to get on the ball.

• I realise this is an older post, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced any downsides with automatic tuning being on. It seems it is all positive from the articles I have read. We are thinking about enabling this (on premise installation) since we had a few queries regress recently.

----------------------------------------------------

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply