Automatic Install of Azure Data Studio

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Automatic Install of Azure Data Studio

• No words about Microsoft dropped the SQL Debugger in SSMS 18. This is really an import feature.

see: Put Debugger back into SSMS 18

Patrick

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by  PatrickSimons.

Patrick SIMONS, MCP

• Reminds me of the browser wars, when Microsoft put Internet Explorer on every Windows machine and effectively killed Netscape. If they are going to do the same with SSMS and ADS, let's hope the final product has the best of both. Perhaps they'll even make it browser based at some point in the future, so there's nothing to install.

Hakim Ali
    www.sqlzen.com

• I'm not crazy on having extra items installed when you are installing a program you are normally used to not having.  I do think it is valuable to have both but my feeling is it should be a separate package you can choose.

Russ

• Having that ADS shortcut available on the Windows Start menu will certainly lead to an increase in adoption, so maybe that's the idea of bundling it with the SSMS install. I'm not sure how tightly integrated the two tools are, perhaps there will be runtime and functional dependencies going forward.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply